How a Ninja made the DT990 a gamer?s go-to can.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjuka

AVForums Member
Reaction score
rr9jxi5chur51.jpg

Confessions of a confused non-gamer.

I am not a gamer, but I?ve noticed much interest and discussions about the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro headphones in recent months.

So how did a headphone that was first launched in 1985 all of a sudden become a darling of the headphone community?

My research leads back to this guy: Born Tyler Blevins in 1991, serious gamers probably know him by his alias: Ninja. As of March, 2020, he had over 5.5M Twitter followers, 23M Youtube Subscribers, 14.7M followers on Twitch. And his headphone of choice?

The Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.

Headphones and microphones made for gaming has become a billion dollar industry in itself, so I find it quite charming that one of the planet?s most successful gamers chooses to use a headphone first made 6 years before he was born. I am not too sure why he chose the DT990, but I am certainly curious why.

I have not heard the DT990 Pro - I have the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm and the TYGR 300 R from Beyerdynamic, and I adore these headphones for my music listening. Some say that the 300 R is a DT990 Pro 32 Ohm in a DT880 body, with dampening mods, so I guess I understand why some venerate the DT990.

So to all those DT990 owners out there, why do you love these headphones? Or to the haters, why do you hate them?