A couple of questions for the experts, AV cabinet build

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orcish75

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, we have decided to move the home theatre and create an entertainment area upstairs. The wall space is quite a bit smaller upstairs and so a custom AV cabinet will have to be made. In order to accommodate reasonable sized speakers and subs, the speakers will have to be built in as part of the cabinet. Two big advantages of doing this are firstly, good WAF and secondly, I can build large volume (approx. 200L) boxes for the subs.

If you?ll refer to my CAD masterpiece below: (I do take Bitcoin as royalties, should anyone wish to publish my diagram in an audiophile journal or engineering schematic)

EK0RU2j.jpg

From what I?ve read, you should have the mids and tweeters at ear level. I order to accommodate this, the main speakers will have to be inverted so that the mids and tweeters are at the bottom and the bass drivers at the top.

1. Are there any problems or disadvantages to doing this?

The sub boxes will be wider than they will be deep. This gives the opportunity to use nice long tubes for the ports, to tune them really low.

2. Any disadvantages to side firing ports as opposed to front?

My WAF woofer build has down firing ports and it sounds great, never tried side ports before.

I?m guessing that all the speakers will need to be decoupled from the main AV cabinet to minimise the AV cabinet from vibrating and introducing noise.

3. What would be the best way to achieve this?

I was thinking that each main speaker and sub is built with it?s own separate cabinet and then each individual cabinet fit snugly in place (without touching any part of the AV cabinet) and have speaker spikes as the only contact with the AV cabinet (and floor for the subs).

Look forward to your responses.

Latest posts