Author Topic: How many of you are buying an inverter system or a generator?  (Read 6204 times)

Offline What

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
As per topic. I am considering getting an inverter system. A loud generator would not work in my environment. What are your thoughts and plans?

Offline Dumb and Dumber

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
Re: How many of you are buying an inverter system or a generator?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 07:14:09 PM »
My father needs to buy one now. He sleeps with a CPAP machine. It can be life threatening if the power goes off. Tonight there is load shedding scheduled 10pm till past 12am. What must he now do, stay awake? No up to now the power was never off past 9pm. Now it goes off till much later at night.
He wants to buy those Ellie's all in one 1200w inverter/battery combos.

Offline Des Miles

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 07:58:08 PM »
^^^^^^

As far as I'm aware I think all those Ellies Inverter combos are modified sine-wave and not pure sine-wave., Your dad better make sure his machine is compatible .
I saw Sputnik, well... actually the booster rocket that went into orbit with it!!

Offline Dumb and Dumber

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 08:18:13 PM »
^^^^^^

As far as I'm aware I think all those Ellies Inverter combos are modified sine-wave and not pure sine-wave., Your dad better make sure his machine is compatible .

Good point :thumbs:

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 08:22:44 PM »
Had mine (4kva) and PV panels since 2015.  All ok and works well, except for the batteries.  Have 6 x 105 a/h batteries.  Only 2 of the 6 have lasted well, as a result the inverter stops after 20 mins.  Am about to get a lithium ion battery
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline thenoizeguy

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 08:22:51 PM »
Currently running my house off a GRIP 5.5KVA noise maker. Works like a charm and powers my whole house through a changeover switch. Not the geyser of course. Seems 100% stable too.
Good bang for the buck, but the noise is a bit much, so we are looking at selling it and getting a KIPOR 2.6. A lot of money for the output, but still cheaper than a Honda or other jap brands.
2.6 is more than enough to run electronics, fridge and a few lights.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Real Amplifiers Glow in the Dark.
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 08:29:54 PM »
Not so sure this will be suitable for your fridge, the start-up current is high and it might struggle with this. Insufficient start-up amperage could damage your fridge motor.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Jason Willemse

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:47:35 PM »
Currently running my house off a GRIP 5.5KVA noise maker. Works like a charm and powers my whole house through a changeover switch. Not the geyser of course. Seems 100% stable too.
Good bang for the buck, but the noise is a bit much, so we are looking at selling it and getting a KIPOR 2.6. A lot of money for the output, but still cheaper than a Honda or other jap brands.
Iíve been using my Kipor 5.5 diesel generator for over ten years now. Itís the enclosed quieter type, and it runs my home completely excluding geysers, stove and pool pump/heater. A fairly comprehensive display monitors  all you need to know, and is very stable. The unit is situated inside of the garage with a custom made exhaust system to outside. Above the generator is a 60lt fuel feeder tank which is used to refill the generator conveniently. We use it always, whenever the power is out, and it has never missed a beat except for having to replace the battery once in the ten years. I also service it once a year. Itís quieter than just about any other unit Iíve heard, and was a great investment.

As far as surge protection goes, I use Eatonís eSWA04 power distribution unit where my sensitive/valuable equipment is concerned. This PDU individually delays power to each one of its 24 outputs by a configurable delay time, with its own built-in breakers and even user defined internal and external temperature cut-off sensors. Gives me peace of mind.

A semi off-grid system is being contemplated at the moment, with the generator being the ultimate back-up. If Iím going to go through with it, Iím really going to take my time in choosing the components and kit, and do it properly. This will mean building the system in phases as the costs are fairly high.

Lots of research to be done first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To see, to bleed, cannot be taught. In turn, youíre making us...

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 10:31:39 PM »
My father needs to buy one now. He sleeps with a CPAP machine. It can be life threatening if the power goes off. Tonight there is load shedding scheduled 10pm till past 12am. What must he now do, stay awake? No up to now the power was never off past 9pm. Now it goes off till much later at night.
He wants to buy those Ellie's all in one 1200w inverter/battery combos.

i use a cpap as well - resmed s9.
inverter is not a recommended solution. resmed distributors sell a dc-dc converter which can be connected to a battery on one side & the cpap on the other.
apparently sells for around 1,200.
resmed also have a table of required battery capacities - based on the type of cpap, accessories used (humidifier / climate control) & the average pressure it runs at.

& you sit there in the rubble, till it starts to feel like home
mary gauthier

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 11:06:44 PM »

Remember that on the Highveld you lose 20% of the output due to altitude. So your 2,6 is actually only going to be a 2.0.
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline Trompie67

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 11:09:27 PM »
As per topic. I am considering getting an inverter system. A loud generator would not work in my environment. What are your thoughts and plans?

We've had a 7,5 GRIP since 2014. Wired in via a crossover switch in the previous house. Ran the entire house excluding geysers, including pool pump motor. Stove, oven everything.

A brilliant piece of equipment, never given any hassles. Serviced annually, run for 5 minutes monthly even when there is no loadshedding. Downside is the noise though, and cost of fuel. Will happily burn through 15 litres in 4 hours.
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

Offline Buggaree

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • MAIN thing is, keep the main thing, the main thing
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 08:06:09 AM »
Remember that on the Highveld you lose 20% of the output due to altitude. So your 2,6 is actually only going to be a 2.0.
Is that for same reason naturally aspirated motors produce less power?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

ďOne good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.Ē ― Bob Marley

Offline Trompie67

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 08:16:54 AM »
Is that for same reason naturally aspirated motors produce less power?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Correct.
Paul McCartney

Offline Dumb and Dumber

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 08:48:18 AM »
Correct.

But will the generator not compensate and just idle at a bit higher rpm?

Offline HB

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 09:11:56 AM »
But will the generator not compensate and just idle at a bit higher rpm?
he is talking about the power of the motor itself. Not generated electrical power.
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take it!            [Yogi Berra]