Noob Question - Breathe deeply before reading...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyErick

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to the whole AV, home entertainment arena. I am currently setting up my man cave which I will be using for watching sports, some DVD (possible blue ray in the future) and mainly playing Xbox 360. I'd like a good entry level setup but at the same time not over the top as I am on a budget.

I recently bought a new Sony EX400 LCD TV which I am very fond of. It has 4 HDMI in with audio. Looking at the sound now I see this week that Game has the Sony HT-STR500 (http://www.sony.co.za/product/ht-str500) on sale for R4000. Now initially it seems to serve my needs 100% until we discovered the HDMI input on the STR-DH500 amp is not >1.3 hence no audio on the HDMI channels which sucks.

However I have a question, could I make it work passing my simple setup through the TV? My idea is hook up all HDMI required units to the TV, then optical out the sound to the amp. Yes this means I need to switch input devices on the TV rather than the amp but I am happy to live with that. It will only be my Xbox and DVD player so its only 2 devices thus far. Will my plan work?

Alternatively I will need something like the Onkyo S5305 but that is R2000 more at least. I am by no means a purist so I am not looking at ultimate quality. Or is there an alternative that will allow me HDMI >= 1.3 (with sound) and some other RCA and few other inputs? I want something smallish but nice :)

Cheers,
Erick

Latest posts