Question around the nature of Speaker Load in relation to bi Amplifying speakers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalith

AVForums Member
Reaction score
So a little back story to my scenario

I have a NAD M25 7 channel amplifier of which I am using 5 channels. 2 of which power Monitor Audio PL300?s configured as large speakers on processor.
Official Spec of the NAD M25 is 160W @ 8Ohm and spec of the MA PL 300 speakers is a recommendation of 100-300W @ 4 Ohm power amplification.
I enjoy movies at well past THX volumes as well as EDM and bass heavy tracks at LOUD volumes.

My problem is that I think have reached the max the NAD M25 can give me as the clipping light comes on in very energetic bass heavy movies as well as heavy bass EDM tracks. Happens very seldom ,maybe 5 times last few months but I am starting to realise that the MA PL 300?s can give me more but seem limited by amplification head room.
I have tested this by changing the speaker config to small and let the subs do 80Hz down and  I don?t run into this problem when stress testing speakers with same movies or music.

As I see it my options are as follows:
Option 1:
Let the subs do the work and maybe dsp them to get them to sound closer to the bass of the PL 300?s. an option but prefer the quick tight agile bass of the PL 300?s for stereo music.
Option 2:
Suck it up and just buy a mooonster 300W+ 4Ohm power amplifier and run the fronts of it. Expensive option but probably worth it
Option 3: (nature of amplification question)
The fact that there are 2 unused channels on the M25 has my brain pondering the possibility of bi amping the front speakers thus splitting lower and higher frequencies.
This brings up the question around Speaker load in a Bi amplified scenario.
So I would take the pre outs from the processor and using a rca splitter split it to 2 ports per channel. This means the right channel would send same processor pre out signal to 2 channels on amp and same for left channel. So one speaker would get one channel to higher frequencies and one channel to low frequencies.
Is there a correlation between the processor pre out signal being amplified and speaker load or is power amplification merely a factor of taking the pre amp signal and amplifying it to whatever voltage level is supplied?
If amplification is independent of speaker load and merely a factor of processor pre outs voltage level I will probably not gain much as both channels would be amplified and I will be putting more stress on amplifier as its amplifying 4 channels at heavy load and not just 2.

My understanding of this level of electronics regarding option 3 is a smidgens shakky at best so any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

Latest posts