Cable with limited Freq response

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenoizeguy

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I decided to make a test tape on one of my cassette decks to compare it to others that I have.

Setup as follows...Computer with Protools. MBox 3 output into NAD 3020 AUX in, tape out to NAD 6150C tape deck.

I set the cassette deck levels to 0dB to record various tones and sweeps.
100Hz, 1khz etc were recorded and played back fine with no level drop on either channel.

When I tried a sweep, the right channel dropped completely from about 8,6k and above. As soon as I dropped it below 8,6, the Right meter jumped straight back to 0dB again
The left was rock steady from 20- 20K.
I swapped the RCA,s and the problem moved to the left channel.
So either there was a problem with the tape outs on the amp, or the cable.
I tried another pair of RCA's and both channels now held perfectly right up to 20Khz.

Both sets of cables used, were cheap Kolitrons or similar, but it is odd that one channel of the one cable, basically was a brick wall filter above 8k.

On normal listening to a analogue source, you would just hear a slight dullness on one side and wouldn't suspect the cable, as we presume that they either work or they don't.

So. If your system seems a little unbalanced at the top end, I suggest you don't rule out a cable fault.

First for me ! :???:

Latest posts