HiVi D8.8+ Project

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerhard

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
With around a month of time on my hands I am going to attempt completing the box construction of several speakers...

In one of the project I am going to use 4 x HiVi D8.8+ (http://www.swanspeaker.com/asp/product/htm/view.asp?id=60) drivers - 2 per box. I have measured the drivers' T/S parameters and modeled the following options:

HiViD88plots.png

From left to right the graphs represent frequency response and group delay for the following volumes and tuning frequencies:

80l - 30Hz (Recommendation from spec sheet - volume doubled for 2 drivers)
55l - 35Hz (My original design)
38l - 40Hz (Optimal flat response - SE & WinISD)

The drivers will be driven by a 250W (ish) amplifier per side and I have 8 bands of active EQ (+-15dB boost & cut) from 25-150Hz. So the low end droop of the 80l box could be EQed a bit. What I like about the 80l box is that the group delay is a bit less at higher frequencies than the others' except of course at the tuning frequency. There is less musical information lower down generally. The speakers will fulfill mostly HT duty as both front mains and sub woofers. Music is not one and only priority. The will operate in a moderate sized room.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the proposed configurations.