What are your experiences with Rustoleum spraypaint?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
A few days ago I bought my second can of Rustoleum spraypaint. The two products I bought were probably not similar - the first can was green spraypaint to paint a vintage fire siren and I was a bit surprised when I wanted to clean up a bit of overspray on an aluminium spec plate after the paint had dried on the siren's body.

I decided to use a small cloth with a bit of turps (white spirit) and to my dismay, the turps also dissolved the dried paint so I had to re-do the job. According to my (vast ;D) experiences with most other spraycan paints, turps does NOT dissolve dried paint.

Anyway, a few days ago I went looking for white appliance touch up paint and Mica did not have the small bottle this type of enamel used to be sold in.

Instead, they offered a product called Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy which I bought @R140 for the spraycan.

After shaking the can vigorously for a few minutes (the can recommends 1 minute), I spayed some of the stuff  in a small plastic cap for touch up by brush.

First, the stuff has almost the viscosity of water :( and secondly - after 3 days the paint remains soft and tacky to the touch. I have put the panel I touched up outside in the sun and also put it near a heater for several hours. According to my (limited) knowledge, epoxy cannot be dissolved with turps, but the Rust-Oleum  product dissolves.

What kind of rubbish at an exhorbitant price in a can is this?

I sent an email to the local distributor in Jhb about the problem, together with the undecipherable code on the can's base and until now, no reply.

skollie

Latest posts