Maintaining lossless through a non-ideal audio chain

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floydthebarber71

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm new to this stuff, so please don't shoot me if this is doff..

I started a previous thread on figuring out a small home theatre setup for my lounge/TV, and I settled on a stereo setup of using the TV optical out to a DAC/amp (bought a Denon PMA-50) and a pair of bookshelf speakers. I now want to figure out the best way to make use of this hardware when playing music off my PC which is not in the same location as the DAC. So I am using dlna/upnp.

I'm not 100% certain how an audio file is being processed through my chain. What I have had to choose is PC playing music via dlna/upnp to the TV, and from there it is going via optical out to the DAC/amp and to speakers. I am assuming the digital file remains untouched by the time it gets to the DAC, well at least that is the goal. I'm not familiar with all this and I've done some reading around but can't verify these specifics...hopefully I haven't missed the memo as this should be straight forward!

If I play a flac file from the PC using Jriver, it seems it is set to pass through to TV without any transcoding via Jriver settings. So I am assuming there is no processing that is happening at the PC at all when it gets to TV? (ie, do I need to consider any processing at the PC to maintain lossless?) The TV plays the flac without issues (I don't have the amp or speakers just yet, btw). Now if I select the sound on the TV to digital out, does that also pass through without any modification to the audio file?

It's all digital so I assume nothing can really be conditioned until it gets to the DAC and becomes an analog signal to the speakers? Is this correct? I just saw the TV has different 'equalizer' settings for its own speakers under audio settings, so that made me wonder if it's doing anything to the audio file before it gets pushed out the optical cable.

I'm just trying to make sure this is correct or if I've missed anything. Again, I cannot connect the DAC direct to PC due to location limitations, and the primary use of the DAC/amp is for the TV, not the PC. So I have to make this work as best I can through this long way round, not ideal.

Thanks!

Latest posts