Author Topic: The Coffee Thread  (Read 18377 times)

Offline Daredevil

The Coffee Thread
« on: May 17, 2016, 12:22:55 PM »
Hi guys

I searched and I couldn't find a thread dedicated to coffee so I thought I'd start one.

I've been a coffee fiend for about five years now. When I go out I find it difficult to order a cappuccino, americana or any coffee drink for that matter because everyone just makes them so badly.

I have a small talk for the baristas when they make bad coffee - The beans that he is using was grown in tough climates, they were all hand picked and hand sorted, shipped half way around the world, they were then roasted, repackage and send to him. By making a bad coffee he is betraying the entire chain of people and hard effort that made that shot possible. Sometimes it works.

I would love to hear from other coffee lovers here and if you have any questions regarding machines, grinding or roasting I'm here ;)

Edit, I'm new here and also need to make friends ;P

Offline oradba69

Re: The Coffee Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:56:45 PM »
I have been contemplating upgrading my capsule jobbie to a bean to cup.
I quite like the Jura E8 machine after lots of internet research. Would love to hear your opinion on this machine.
Biggest problem is to get a shop that can demo a few machines.
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
Importer and distributor of Trichord.
http://www.lerange.co.za

Offline Daredevil

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 01:46:25 PM »
As far as automatics go the Jura E8 is well built. They are all made in Switzerland and so quality is about the best you are going to get.

Remember that one touch machine will be able to make you a coffee that will probably max out at an 7.5 out of 10. This is a consequence of the connivance of just putting your beans in, tweaking it slightly and pressing a button. These are ideal for a multi user environment, so if it's for home and your wife also enjoys a good coffee the learning curve for her would be min.

The nice thing is that it's customisable to a degree, each dink can be tweaked to your liking and it's easy to use. There are also a couple of levels of grind to choose from. This is what most people miss, how well a coffee brews is directly linked to the relationship of the grind and bean. Because this allows that adjustment it get a plus in my books. It also has a foaming function that works pretty well but it does involve a little maintenance in terms of rinsing after use.

Automatics can last a long time but it's crucial to keep them clean.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 02:53:38 PM »
Can you recommend a good grinder.  I would like to upgrade from ready-ground coffee.

I use a Bialetti Moka Express no. 3 for a single cup of good strong coffee.

Offline Daredevil

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 03:07:17 PM »
Can you recommend a good grinder.  I would like to upgrade from ready-ground coffee.

I use a Bialetti Moka Express no. 3 for a single cup of good strong coffee.

If you are having 2-3 cups a day with your Bialetti I think the best way to go would be with a nice hand grinder like this one http://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/coffee-grinders/products/gater-ceramic-burr-manual-coffee-grinder?variant=566679265.

The Bialetti is a nice hands on process when making an espresso so you may as well complete the experience with a hand grinder. The other nice thing about getting a hand grinder is that it's portable along with your Bialetti.

When looking at a hand grinder or any grinder for that matter, make sure that it's a burr grinder and not a blade grinder. Blade grinder are rubbish and should never be considered.

Offline Kemosabe

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 04:12:06 PM »
Nice thread!
I also stopped getting cappuccino from the big coffee chains because Im tired of paying top dollar for 5/10 swill.
And the arguments which ensue about the correct foam to steamed milk ratio just puts me in a bad mood instantly.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 04:14:16 PM by Kemosabe »
DIY hi-fi: the journey is the destination.

Offline Daredevil

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 04:33:04 PM »
Nice thread!
I also stopped getting cappuccino from the big coffee chains because Im tired of paying top dollar for 5/10 swill.
And the arguments which ensue about the correct foam to steamed milk ratio just puts me in a bad mood instantly.

It kills me when I ask for an Americano and they run the shot to fill the cup.

Offline Eish

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 04:47:52 PM »
I used to call myself an avid coffee slurrper until I ordered an Espresso and had the equivalent of "brainfreeze".

Coffee (not espresso) from popular chains tastes absolutely awful and bitter to me and takes the enjoyment out of the experience.  Even when I dilute it 50:50, it still tastes too bitter.  I bought my own percolator, buy my own beans - medium roast arabica mostly.  Grind it slightly rough.  Brew it to medium strength and always enjoy a great cuppa.  I stopped buying from coffee shops altogether.  I just didn't get the taste.

I rarely buy Capuccino at airports, which is the closest thing I can get to my home brewed nirvana.
There are rules, and rules must be followed

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 05:57:54 PM »
First thing I do on arrival at my brother's place is ask his wife if she's thinking of making coffee.  She's Ethiopian therefore the coffee takes a little longer as the beans need roasting first.  Tradition dictates that it's served in the little cups in rounds.  Damn fine coffee (made slowly with love) and I always rib her that it's not as good as that made by her mother.  I made the mistake of saying her friend made it better once, the next day her friend was called around to make coffee!
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline Bigray

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 06:52:48 PM »
It kills me when I ask for an Americano and they run the shot to fill the cup.

Same problem with automatic machines when you select a long coffee. It just runs water through the beans until the cup is full.

Offline Bigray

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 07:02:47 PM »
I find that a huge factor in the quality is the period of time between roast and consumption. I've noticed that the coffee beans you'll purchase in most supermarkets has a shelf life of 1 year. Better brands/suppliers have a 3 month shelf life. The roaster I buy from keeps beans on the shelf for max 1 month from the roasting date. The difference in taste is incomparable.

Offline Razr

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 07:09:11 PM »
I find that a huge factor in the quality is the period of time between roast and consumption. I've noticed that the coffee beans you'll purchase in most supermarkets has a shelf life of 1 year. Better brands/suppliers have a 3 month shelf life. The roaster I buy from keeps beans on the shelf for max 1 month from the roasting date. The difference in taste is incomparable.

who's the roaster i always like to try out new coffees , and what beans do you get from them

Offline Bigray

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 07:26:33 PM »
who's the roaster i always like to try out new coffees , and what beans do you get from them

Sent you a PM with the details.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 07:33:57 PM »
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Daredevil

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 07:58:40 PM »
I used to call myself an avid coffee slurrper until I ordered an Espresso and had the equivalent of "brainfreeze".

Coffee (not espresso) from popular chains tastes absolutely awful and bitter to me and takes the enjoyment out of the experience.  Even when I dilute it 50:50, it still tastes too bitter.  I bought my own percolator, buy my own beans - medium roast arabica mostly.  Grind it slightly rough.  Brew it to medium strength and always enjoy a great cuppa.  I stopped buying from coffee shops altogether.  I just didn't get the taste.

I rarely buy Capuccino at airports, which is the closest thing I can get to my home brewed nirvana.

It's a misconception that when coffee is strong it's bitter. Bitter coffee is badly made coffee. When the barista runs the pour too long or too hot it burns the coffee and it tastes terrible, very bitter.

Dark roasts like they use in woolies have a fuller taste and the subtleties in the flavor are lost during the roast. This kind of roast will taste ok as a cappuccino but not great as an espresso or Americano.