Author Topic: Schitt YGGDRASIL... anyone had any experience with it?  (Read 18242 times)

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
Re: Schitt YGGDRASIL... anyone had any experience with it?
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2016, 03:21:22 AM »
The Yggy's most important quality is that it does the same thing the ML 30.6, PS Audio PerfectWave MKII and later Theta DACs I've heard do so well... it renders the sound devoid of sharpness, and like the aforementioned DACs, it's not until you listen to it alongside other DACs that you realise that they may have a sharper sound to them.

+1 Most certainly does seem to round off the edge/sharpness and I really liked what I heard.

Hoards of detail and on the track RJ mentioned there most certainly was a a little more detail on the acoustic guitar in the background.Picked that up pretty quickly on a track I know fairly well.
I did perceive a little more depth than the Viv but it would be splitting hairs to tell them apart.

Agreed on how good the Viv is, especially if one considers the asking price of each unit.Suppose it is again a case of mega bucks to gain a ball hair size improvement.

Lovely all round DAC but at a premium a little too hefty for most pockets I would imagine.

The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2016, 03:15:17 PM »
I popped into RJ's house on Monday, listened to the Yggdrsil and Vivere connected very cleverly is synchronised mode via Roon. Basically instantaneous switching between either DAC without  me knowing what was playing. The sound, as normal, was great, clean, crisp, uncoloured. Great imaging.

On the first track and unprompted I heard a strange guy in stage playing a steel stringed acoustic guitar off to the left. It was almost as if he was slightly "off stage". Never picked it up before. After RJ asked what DAC was playing I guessed the Yggdrsil and was correct. Slightly warmer and more "rounded".

We then listened to a few more tracks and had a beer. Only one. I never got another guess right I don't think. For me the difference is so small, if any, anyway decided I am more than happy with the Vivere. Gert and the team cracked it!

Based on this I decided to buy another one if an one came up. Got lucky and managed to pick up number 10. Swapped out my Benchmark DAC in the bedroom and am happy.

We were very lucky to have this talent on our forum.

Off topic, but....
We must have less political crap on the forum and more DIY and technical conversations or reviews.

I don't know what has changed but there was more interesting discussions a few years ago, IMO.

The only one is Family dog. His help on the Mono Bill Classic was "Classic".

What is going on in Cape Town?, Andre and Rodney used to be the best "stand-up" on the net!

Come on guys, lets get the "gees" back. :sd:
"Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

“We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.”
H.L. Mencken

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+57)
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2016, 07:52:31 AM »
"On the first track and unprompted I heard a strange guy in stage playing a steel stringed acoustic guitar off to the left. It was almost as if he was slightly "off stage". Never picked it up before. After RJ asked what DAC was playing I guessed the Yggdrsil and was correct. Slightly warmer and more "rounded".

Being a faith based hobby,i would hazard a guess and say the chap off stage plucking with his instrument was probably Benny Hinn and that the "warmer and more rounded sound" just means that RJ's new dac is fuzzy and less defined with rolled off treble(something a Quad cdp for 2.5k can do 8 days a week) :angel:

Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »
Having had the Yggy in my listening room for a few months now I'm really pleased I went ahead and bought it.  It gives me great listening pleasure.  I think I've now reached the point beyond which lies dramatically diminished marginal returns.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2016, 08:19:49 PM »
i think you should go on holiday you been working too hard  :whip:
leave it by me for safe keeping  :ROFLMAO:
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2016, 08:21:35 PM »
i think you should go on holiday you been working too hard  :whip:
leave it by me for safe keeping  :ROFLMAO:

Se Gat Man ,its coming to me for the holidays  ;D
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2016, 08:49:02 PM »
Se Gat Man ,its coming to me for the holidays  ;D
you can take it for the christmas holidays
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2017, 07:13:40 AM »
Anyone seen the write up on the Yggy from Robert Harley's The Absolute Sound article?  Apparently the Yggy is only one of the 3 best DACs he has heard.  The Includes the dCS Vivaldi $36K and the $20K Berkley Reference.

His conclusion:

"I don’t know how Schiit Audio has done it, but the $2300 Yggy is in many ways competitive with any DAC I’ve heard regardless of price. In some criteria - transient speed without etch, clarity of musical line, whole-body involvement - the Yggy is as good as digital gets. Yet the Yggy’s bold incisiveness may not resonate with listeners who prefer a more relaxed and easygoing sound.  I, however, have no such reservation; this is a DAC I could listen to and enjoy for a long time. In fact, there was something different about the Yggy that pushed my buttons - I felt a musical exhilaration that was experienced not as some intellectual abstraction, but at a more fundamentally visceral level.  If you’re looking for a DAC that does quad-rate DSD, decodes MQA, offers a volume control, and includes a headphone amp, look elsewhere. But if the very best reproduction of PCM sources is your goal, the Yggdrasil is the ticket. It’s a spectacular performer on an absolute level, and an out-of-this world bargain. The Yggy is not just a tremendous value in today’s DACs, it’s one of the greatest bargains in the history of high-end audio."

No doubt offensive to the sensibilities of those that believe brand and/or price determines performance (and for them I guess it does).
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline Gramophone

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2017, 08:41:12 AM »
^Have read that review the other day. If I had the money and in the market for a new dac at a sensible price then the Yggdrasil would be at the top of my list.  Glad you are enjoying it!
"Midnight is where the day begins"

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2017, 09:07:42 AM »
Glad you are enjoying it!
Yip, I suspect the Yggy will be with me for very many years to come.

Offline Kemosabe

• Undertaker
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2017, 12:06:26 PM »
DIY hi-fi: the journey is the destination.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2017, 02:21:32 PM »
Yes, faith-based since you gotta have faith that it will work when needed

Many times with Audio and Computers, taking them to a meeting and finding something peculiar does not work is unfortunately common

Took a fairly new laptop to a meeting to find the wired mouse would not work (as if there was no power to the mouse).  Brought it back home and it works perfectly.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2017, 02:25:47 PM »
^^^ windows, enough said.