SLOB build

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curlycat

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my Slot Loaded Open Baffle build. Woodworking is not my strong point and I sometimes have to make do with what tools I have at my disposal. I have been playing around with open baffle for a short while now and really like the sound of OB, especially the type of bass it generates. I looked around for a cool OB design and stumbled upon a design by Nelson Pass - http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0911/slot_loaded_open_baffle_speaker.htm  which led me to my build.

My first open OB plankie, so I can hear what all the fuss is about. Altec 409E and Agent Audio 12" sub.

Working out my things.

Got some Novlam from Davidsons cut and edged.

Here the balance of my 12" drivers arrived. There's going to be eight in total.

Lining up 4 panels a time and marking where I need to drill and cut the holes. I had to drill all 4 panels at the same time to ensure that all the holes line up from one panel to the other. There's 10 holes per panel.

Checking my holes line-up. They do :)

Making the inside braces. There's 6 of them.

Test fitting the brasses to the panels to see if it works.

Spraying...

Decided to upholster the side braces and break up the black a bit.

Starting with the holes for the drivers.

Jozua was kind enough to cut the smaller holes for me. I don't have a jig for my router to cut such small holes. He did a great job. Thank you Jozua! Really appreciate it!

Here I am busy chamfering the holes with a round over. I had to do it else my drivers would not fit the cavity.

Mock fit to see if the drivers fit :)

Installing the drivers. Phew - 64 holes!

Fixing the exposed wood that is showing where the holes were cut.

... looks like an open baffle :) ...

Measuring ... again...  to see what length to cut the threaded rod and to make sure all the holes still line up.

Finally I can assemble one box.

Still have to assemble the second one and do the baffle for the full range driver that's going on top.