Abrasives (Sandpaper) shootout and classification - Ian's list

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimGore

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Let's be honest with each other - sanding is possibly one of the worst jobs out there.  It's repetitive, boring, hard work, dusty, messy, and just plainly a schlep.  Words like "loathe", "hate", "grrrr!", and other more colorful curse-words abound at the mere thought of sanding.

Therefore in my opinion you need to get it done as quickly and easily as possible.

The reason for this thread is that I am just plain fed-up with the sh!t abrasives available to us here in SA.  So I have decided to compile a list of abrasives used for hand sanding without water (dry).  I will come up with a matrix showing the brand / type of paper, and classify each in terms of sanding bare wood and also sanding varnish / paint / primers.

This classification is not based on a price / performance ratio - it will simply focus on performance and durability.  I am happy to pay extra for a good quality abrasive which makes my time sanding easier, faster, and better.

Performance wise there are two aspects I will look at:
1.  How well it abrades
2.  How well it resists clogging

Durability wise there are three aspects:
1.  How long it stays sharp
2.  How long it holds up with regards to tearing
3.  How well the abrasives stick to the backing

So let's define the classification in stars rating:
* = Super sh!t
** = sh!t
*** = mediocre
**** = good
***** = excellent

Are you guys interested?  Please post here if you are - I will do this testing and classification for the benefit of us all if there is some interest shown.  I am considering doing a bit of a write-up / review on each of the abrasives I test.

Cheers,
Ian.