Author Topic: Music concerts on Blu Ray  (Read 19286 times)

Offline jvr

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • It was 50 years ago...
Music concerts on Blu Ray
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:19:27 PM »
Following recent discussions re the future of HD formats and the fact that we are lagging so far behind here in SA, I was starting to consider the Blu-Ray format again. I am not a huge movie collector (except for the kids), but I love music concerts. I have a few personal DVD-V favourites (Diana Krall Live in Paris, Eagles' Hell Freezes Over, Simply Red's Cuba, Peter Gabriel's Growing Up to name a few), but I was surprised and slightly disappointed by the lack of Blu-Ray content. I realise that taste differs, but any recommendations regarding great music concerts on Blu-Ray? 
Lend me your ears

Offline anandheeraman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Music concerts on Blu Ray
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:42:02 AM »
There is quiet frankly only a few Blu Ray music dvd's available in South Africa. Most of those titles available have not been shot in HD, however just been enhanced. There may have been an improvement in the picture quality however not in terms ofsound reproduction. When compared to a concert shot in HD such as The Hit Man and the Hit Man returns, you can imediately see and hear the difference in quality.

Offline OliverP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:36:44 AM »
I was going to recommend the hit man and the hit man returns as well. very happy with the sound reproduction on those 2.

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:01:45 PM »
Honestly, I cannot fault a simple upscaled DVD video playback. Even on my really large screen (120" diagonal) from a 1080p projector.
If the DVD has a DTS track (as most concert DVDs do) I cannot imagine myself wanting anything more or better.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline anandheeraman

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 01:03:20 PM »
There is a music store situated at OR Thambo. Check it out. They also have a hugh selection May be worth your effort.

Offline anandheeraman

• AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:09:40 PM »
Diana Krall Live in Paris, has lovely content however the sound and picture is substandard.

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • It was 50 years ago...
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 02:28:12 PM »
Honestly, I cannot fault a simple upscaled DVD video playback. Even on my really large screen (120" diagonal) from a 1080p projector.
If the DVD has a DTS track (as most concert DVDs do) I cannot imagine myself wanting anything more or better.
If I may ask, what do you use to upscale the video quality? The DVD player, AVR, or the projector? I am also quite satisfied with the audio of DVD-V and yes, I also prefer the DTS tracks, but the video quality of some of the DVD's is not good (Live in Paris, Eric Clapton's Unplugged is terrible - haven't seen its latest remastered release). Blu-ray is a tempting proposition for its video quality in combination with its uncompressed/lossless multichannel audio.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:32:22 PM by jvr »
Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • It was 50 years ago...
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 02:30:07 PM »
Diana Krall Live in Paris, has lovely content however the sound and picture is substandard.
I quite like the DTS surround track as well as the stereo track. The picture quality is not great though...

Thanks for the tip re the store @ OR Tambo. I will check it out!
Lend me your ears

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 02:45:59 PM »
If I may ask, what do you use to upscale the video quality? The DVD player, AVR, or the projector? I am also quite content with the audio of DVD-V and yes, I also prefer the DTS tracks, but the video quality of some of the DVD's is not good (Live in Paris, Eric Clapton's Unplugged is terrible - haven't seen its latest remastered release). Blu-ray is a tempting proposition for its video quality in combination with its uncompressed/lossless multichannel audio.
I had great results both from the old(er) Philips DVD player that was one of the first that offered built-in upscaling to 1080 (I can't remember was it "i" or "p"...), as well as the current one - a Yamaha DVD-S2700 which upscales to 1080p magnificently. Great chipsets in both I guess.

It's all only as good as the original material and since it seems that a lot of the BRay material was just upscaled SD content, why bother? My DVDP can polish the turd just as well. :point:

So for me, DVD material (being plentiful in terms of selection and still significantly cheaper than BD) is more than good enough.

Watch P!nk - "Funhouse tour: Live in Australia" DVD. I promise you won't be longing for anything more/better. :thumbs:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • It was 50 years ago...
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »
Watch P!nk - "Funhouse tour: Live in Australia" DVD. I promise you won't be longing for anything more/better. :thumbs:

I heard about that one. Highly recommended by a friend of mine as well!
Lend me your ears

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
I can highly recommend this one on Blu-Ray, the recording is top notch and it gives your speakers a first class workout:

Offline BWS

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 12:20:22 AM »
AC/DC live at River Plate

WORD!!!!
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline BWS

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 12:22:50 AM »
Epica - Retrospect :notworthy:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • It was 50 years ago...
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 11:19:56 AM »
I can highly recommend this one on Blu-Ray, the recording is top notch and it gives your speakers a first class workout:

I only know a couple of their songs, but based on the evidence of those songs this seems very tempting...
Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • It was 50 years ago...
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 04:44:06 PM »
OK, so I slotted my first Blu-Ray concert into the PS3 last night which was "Funhouse tour: Live in Australia" (P!NK). Goodness, what a show! I read quite a few reviews and some forum members also suggested this one, but it was way better than I have ever imagined. There is something to cater for most viewers' taste. You get the idea that she just does not want to stop, so it is really great value for money. What a performer, what a show. There are some naughty bits at the start which are not suitable for younger viewers, the costumes are a bit daring, but that band and that voice... The highlight must be her and her band's rendition of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, which must be one of the most demanding pop songs ever composed. Not only were they dealing with it quite comfortably, they nailed it to perfection! 

As for BD as a medium to enjoy these concerts, the following. For me personally the jury is still out on the video enhancement. My own system set-up may still require some tweaking, but especially early on during the show I noticed quite a bit of graining (black dots in layers accross the screen). During the opening sequence this was done purposefully, which is not what I am referring to. During the show I noticed it in the dim background as well as under the spotlight. The close-ups and the colourful stage are great in high definition though. When it comes to audio, it is really impressive. I mean this particular show is capped to 24/48 accross 5.1 channels and it still sounded superb in multi channel LPCM! Its more or less on par with what one would expect from DVD in 2-channel LPCM, but accross 5 channels... ;D Next I have U2's 360 lined up, which features 24/92 accross 5 channels if I am not mistaken. I can't wait 8)
Lend me your ears