FREE Dynamically Uncompressed Audiophile Music Sampler from MA Recordings

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjyuy_ODgsE

Steve Guttenberg Audiophiliac:

"If you're having trouble with the download go to https://www.marecordings.com do it on a computer, NOT A PHONE. It's the Blue box on the right side of the MA Recordings page.

The Sampler's (Partial) Liner Notes

I hope this finds you well, wherever you may be.  My name is Todd Garfinkle, the producer and engineer of the MA Recordings label.  I am writing you from the relative safety and comfort of my home in Los Angeles. This week, I had an idea to contact our mutual friend, The Audiophiliac, Steve Guttenberg, to inquire as to whether or not he would be interested in me assembling a ?Stay at Home? sampler of tracks from the recordings of mine he has mentioned over the years. He readily went for it and here we all are!  There are a dozen tracks with a total time lasting 82 minutes and 42 seconds. They are 44.1 kHz WAV file tracks,  and by the way, all tracks were recorded with only two omni-directional microphones, except for track 3 which was a live recording in Tokyo.  So, here we go!

?Gajdarsko Oro? - from Krushevo; MA catalog #: M044A
?Jano mori? - from Krushevo; MA catalog #: M044A
These first two tracks are from ?Krushevo? the Balkan cult recording I did in 1998 in the Republic of Macedonia, now officially called the ?Republic of North Macedonia? due to the intense opposition from Greece which has always had its own territory traditionally called ?Macedonia.?  The recording venue was the ?Makedonium? National monument that Josef Tito had constructed in the 1070?s to commemorate the slaughter of the Macedonians during the Ilinden Uprising.

?Honey Suckle Rose/Ain?t Misbehavin?? - from The Very Thought of Two by Sheila Jordan & HarvieSwartz
MA catalog #: M005A  This is a live concert recording that I did (in 1989) while living in Tokyo. I got involved in a bit of concert promotion before establishing MA and this is one of the concerts I produced.  Steve Guttenberg really likes this recording, I think more for the incredible performance than the sonics.
I tend to agree.  Sheila was around 60 years old when we did this. Unbelievable!

?Saint Thomas? - from Songs From Within by Sheila Jordan & Harvie Swartz; MA catalog #: M014A                 
I also wanted to present Sheila and Harvie in what is undoubtedly a much better acoustic setting. This is the album we recorded while they toured Japan to promote the above live Tokyo Concert album.

?Gitana?  Silvia Perez Cruz + Ravid Goldschmidt - from Llama;  MA catalog #: M070A
This album was recorded over a period of three evenings in a small chapel in the Bari Gotic quarter of Barcelona, Spain. 

?Marvin`s Udu Voodoo? -  from Ghatam by The Antenna Repairment; MA catalog #: M038A
Next we have a rather long track from one of Steve?s favourites, ?Ghatam? by the Antenna Repairmen
The ?Ghatam? project represents the culmination of a work by three California based percussionists and a rather prolific and creative potter.

?Minor`s Boogie? - from Man From Plovdiv by Milcho Leviev; MA catalog #: M018A
This is one of the first recordings I did for MA, although it was released a few years after it was produced.
In the late 80?s, I flew Milcho from LA to Japan where we went up to the Harmony Hall in Matsumoto,  Japan and recorded two albums over a period of only three days.

?Gears? - from With Space in Mind by percussionist Mark Nauseef; MA catalog #: M020A
I took Mark up to the Harmony Hall in the early 90s, to record this solo project. 
?Victimae paschali laudes? - from Sous les vo?tes le serpent .... by Michel Godard; MA catalog #: M048A
French born Michel Godard is a master of the modern Tuba, as well as the Serpent, the Renaissance predecessor of the tuba. Michel plays the Serpent on most of this record which is both avant-garde and Medieval in scope.

?Batuta Lui Costel Sarambel? - Hora Tiganeaska - from Departe de Casa; MA catalog #: M060A   
Producing this album was truly an adventure and a tremendous learning experience!  In the spring of 2001, I traveled to Paris from Tokyo to promote MA at the ?France Musique? Music Fair. Paris is quite well known for the musicians that play in the subway system and the Paris Metro is where I met the musicians that played on this recording! 

Gregorian Chant with Peter Epstein (Fall 2020 release)
In the spring of the year 2000, I found myself with saxophonist Peter Epstein in a Catholic church on a hill overlooking Rovato, a smallish town in the Italian Brescia region.

?Izvor? Miroslav Tadic: guitar + Santiago Vasquez: percussion and tabla."

Latest posts