Excited...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenithon

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I have been in the headphone hobby for a very long time, and owned 30+ different headphones from various companies. Very little gets me existed these days in the industry - the last time something really piqued my interest it was Audeze with their LCD range. Most new headphones have either been regurgitations of former flagships, or big-name hifi companies attempting to reproduce their success in headphones, to curb their growing decline in sales (reach the mobile generation).

But, this makes me all warm and fuzzy. It is the AKG K812 Pro. The new flagship from the Austrian marque. The last I owned of them was a K712. The sound was beautiful, but flawed - too thin and with limited bass extension, thus not versatile enough for all music. Most other things it got very right - pace, bass speed, rhythm, space and soundstaging, and female vocal was oh-so dreamy. Before that, I owned (on 2 occasions) the infamous K1000. A bitch to drive and get right in terms of positioning on the head (and angling), but when you got it right....wow!

One of the promising aspects of this can is that you do not need a system costing 10x the price of the headphone itself to get it sounding good. And to make it even sweeter, I absolutely love the clean, minimal, old-school looks - AKG have really gone back to their roots.

The descriptions and details I have read about on Head-Fi and a few other sources are very enticing. After many years out of the full-size flagship headphone game, I think something has finally come along to get me back in. This is a particularly detailed (and positive) write up from someone who got to listen to a pair - though official release is only set for some time in November I think.

I cannot wait to find out details of local availability and pricing. That said though, based on previous enquiries, chance of availability will be slim to none, and if it is, will be sold at 2x overseas pricing.

AKGK812.jpg

Latest posts