The joy of strangers looking after your house.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xrapidx

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from honeymoon, wedding was perfect (pics, for those interested), honeymoon was perfect, not a days stress for two weeks ;D ;D ;D

--

and then return home to a housesitter who couldn't follow the most basic of instructions

We used a company called "the Happy housesitters", Mark Silbert was to look after our house and dogs while we were getting married and on honeymoon.

The first day away, we received a SMS to say the jacuzzi isn't working, could we fix it before we leave for honeymoon. I then reset the jacuzzi after they had messed with the settings, and informed Mark by telephone and email not to change the settings as the heat pump is not working and it is a potential hazard, he confirmed he wouldn't.

We also left them very detailed feeding instructions, and rules of our house.

On our return.
* He had used the jacuzzi, burnt through R750 electricty in 12 days. R1280 damage to the jacuzzi done. The jacuzzi was still on maxium heat setting, I discovered this when we ran out of our months electricity two days after getting back (the 14th), the first thing I checked was the jacuzzi, which was still sitting at a comfortable 30 degrees while being switched off at the mains for a few days.
* He walked our giant breed against our direct instructions, she is showing aggression towards people and other dogs atm (she's just turned two, and its part of the breeds "nature"), I wanted to work through this before allowing others (strangers) to walk her.. He's justification was "nothing happened, so its ok". Doesn't quite get the concept of what if something happened and we're sitting in another country.
* Fed our giant breed our yorkies food (Royal Canine), replaced with huskies. Cost us R400 to replace, the giant breed still had a full container, we left very specific instructions, he completely did what he pleased, feed them tin food in the mornings, etc.
* Used our phone. (R100+) calling mobiles.
* When we got home from the wedding, he hadn't armed the alarm, his excuse was he didn't know how to arm it and check it was armed, all this was in the instructions, and simple, "A little red light in the corner of the garage door when armed. We are not covered by insurance if the alarm is not armed.

Because of his jacuzzi parties with his wife, our electricity bill is currently sitting at R1,600 (the highest since moving here in 2009), because we're in the highest unit band now and paying R1.5/unit.

They obvoiously werent aware of chlorine requirement for jacuzzi's - it looked like an entire family had been using the jacuzzi as a bath while we were away, on empting it I couldn't bring myself to clean the inside and gave the task to our most unfortunate gardener.

Mark keeps sending me emails demanding I settle an additional account of R1480.
*R500 of which is electricty he bought and used by using the jacuzzi against permission. (I told him to buy electricity if he runs out and we'll reimburse him, I did not expect him to be using the jacuzzi against permission, and using so much electricity by running it with a faulty heat pump).
*R98 is for dog food because he didnt follow feeding instructions (if he did follow instructions, we'd still have food left for the rest of the month, and would not have to fork out an addition R400.
*R882 I have received no receipts or explanation for what this is for... he basically just demanded it.

He has cost us:
R850 in extra electricty this month, so far
R1,220 in damage to the jacuzzi he was told not to touch.
R400 in extra dog food because you didn't follow instructions
Thats a total of R2,270

Because he continues harassing me demanding I refund him - I am seriously considering sending him a letter of demand for all the above costs, as well as his entire fee of around R2000 for not following instructions as agreed.

Don't know where this guy gets off demanding a refund of electricity he used, and dog food he bought because he feed the dogs the wrong food.

Latest posts