Equalizers and room treatment

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakesb

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I'm out of the country at the moment so listening to music on my media player (Cowon) and Grado headphones. The Cowon media player is quite well known for having good equalizers and last night I played for hours changing them etc. What I found was that certain preset settings sound like setups I've heard before. For instance the "rock" setting sounded just like my system at home. Others sounded like other systems I've heard and of course some settings sound best with certain types of music. This made we wonder why most of us listen to our sound with no equalizer settings at all. Some old hifi's use to have them all over and it was quite popular. Why don't we use it more to help treating rooms and maybe get more bass or treble if we want it? It just doesn't seem to be very popular with audiophiles or am I missing something. I know some might say that you must listen to music how it was recorded but 95% or more of us don't have perfect rooms. Is it possible to get a perfect waterfall and db graph over the frequency spectrum using equalizers?     

Latest posts