Why is there (amost) no bass on some recordings?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moog

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
This evening I decided to pull out Jethro Tull's Aqualung lp to play it after a long time.  I have done this after playing Madeleine Peyroux, Careless Love (released in 2004) , Ella Fitzgerald's Mack the Kniife (Released in 1960) and Nat king Cole's After Midnight (released in 1956( . The later three recordings have adequate bass , despite having been released many years apart. To my dismay I noted that the on Aqualung (first released in 1971) album, the title track has no bass at all. I would like to assume that the recording engineer cut-off bass at above 100 Hz. Why would one do that? I do not think that an equalizer can help in this case because bass has been removed from the source. But then I began to ask myself if I was at alive show was the music going to sound like this? Maybe the sound recording engineers can explain this. Or perhaps I am taking it for granted that bass should go LOW!