Why do you listen to music?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisF

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I am sitting here at my PC, listening to Beethoven's 7th and thinking to myself how absolutely glorious the music is. Evan if the source is a downloaded youtube video and the speakers are little boxes about the size of a 250 g packet of coffee grounds. Then I started wondering exactly why do we spend thousands of Rands on sound reproduction equipment. Do we listen to the music or do we, as is quoted in someone's signature, use the music to listen to our equipment? More and more these days I marvel at the way composers? use the different instruments available to play in harmony with one another, having conversations, as it were, and how the human voice is used as a musical instrument, in a manner of speaking. These days my appreciation of music is not in the melody only, but in the way the instruments play together in wonderful harmony.

For me the melody of the Ode to Joy in Beethoven?s 9th will never cease to be a source of wonder and pleasure, but the enjoyment of music has widened to encompass much more than only the melodies and lyrics ? not of classical music only, but also of the wide spectrum of lighter music.

Yes, the quality of sound reproduction of a hifi system does add value, no doubt of that as far as I am concerned, but one can ? and should be able to ? enjoy music for its own sake and the art and expertise (struggling to find the right terms) that goes into a song, march, symphony, ballad or whatever one?s taste may include, even if the bass drum sounds ?boomey?, and so on. I might add that my Beyer HP does enhance the pleasure of listening to the youtube video but I can enjoy the music even if the quality is not exactly life like.

Would love to hear from you guys in this regard