What is killing my 900Hz to 2kHz repsonse?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atjan

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been messing around with speaker locations, checking it out with my UMIK-1 in REW.

Moving each speaker in a 450mm x750mm space has given some very interesting results in the sub bass region. For instance, between the 2 opposite corners in that rectangle, there is a 6dB difference in a the 43Hz node and a 4dB difference in the 51Hz null. It would have costed me a good couple of bucks to do that with bass trapping.

So moving the speakers around has provided great results. Also interestingly, I have found that moving the seat around in the room did not yield much results at all. I may still do that again at a later stage.

At the moment I've got a thick 4x3 rug on the floor, medium weight curtains on the one end both sides of the room, 2 chuck traps in the front corners, 2x 100mm panel traps and 3x 25mm panel traps. The room is still very live and I will add some more absorption as time and funds allow over time.

Either way, the one thing that remains, is a significant dip between 900Hz and 2kHz. No matter how much I move speakers or toe them in and out, the dip remains more or less constant. I've checked the speakers as well and that is not the problem. Their response is very flat in that region.

What could cause that dip? I would really like a much flatter response in that crucial range.

Here's measurements of the 2 speaker positions. I'm going with the red one. The purple one is basically the opposite corner. What is common between them is the 6dB dip in the mid-range.
I use 1/12 octave smoothing.

a5%20vs%20d1_zpszgo8ujif.jpg