Wharfedale Crystal 2-40 Review

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounce Online

Bounce Online
Reaction score
Thanks Felix Lillie:

There is a certain breed of fellow whom I shall name the Audio Snob.
He has only the finest equipment nothing less than ultra high end for him.  He would not dare to even let his superior gaze rest on these speakers,  It would cause him some sort of deep psychological harm and offend him to such a degree.  He would flounce off in a huff as a Prima Donna would, hugging his Levinson like it was a hand bag dog.

These speakers are not for that fellow;
They are for those who like listening to music and having fun.
If you believe like me that you do not have to spend a lot of money to get good sound and have have some fun.  Then these speakers are just for you
Listening to music is fun and these speakers deliver that in buckets.

A three way design tower speaker and look quite handsome with the grills removed.
Very nicely made you are not paying for any frills here.

These speakers are currently available from Audiosure in Midrand on a never to be repeated GIVE AWAY PRICE OF R995,00.  For this month of February only.

The Sound:
What can I say they sound very very good ignoring the price, and considering the price flippen amazing.
Very detailed nice bass sweet and warm, lively, rocking speakers sums them up overall.
I played these Speakers in my lounge in place of the Mission M73's I have there.
Right out of the box they exhibited a far more open clear detailed sound with a nice detailed bass, compared to the Missions. These are the first speakers I have heard in this room that I am happy with sound wise.
They played so well at low volume on my 35WC35w 70's Teac BX 300 amp using a Yamaha CDX396 CD player.
Very very nice sat there for a couple of hours listening enthralled at what they brought to the party had no desire to jack up the volume at all.
My dear old mother who is 85 and deaf in one ear and battles with the other came out of her room and sat down with me and asked me to play that again that sounded so nice she said.  It was Aaron Neville after all.
I do not regret for one second that I took a chance and bought them.

I then hauled carted then up stairs and with some heavy lifting took the Vandersteens of the granite plinths and put the where the Vandies sit. 90cm from the back wall and 80cm from the side walls.

The sound:
They exhibited the same sound signature as the smaller CR2-30's only with more bass detail they have a driven bass driver as apposed to the CR2-30's passive driver only to be expected.
Same cabinet, width and depth the same with the same drivers.
CR2-40's taller and rear ported. CR-2 30's sealed box,

Was somewhat puzzled by a confusion and roughness in the upper mid range.
That's an easy one, speaker cables will help to fix that.  Yes folks cables do make a difference.
Now to be fair the equipment I was playing them on is pretty revealing but is not ultra high end by any stretch of the imagination.
This tendency was not obvious on the other set up using the Teac.
Changed the cheaper cable and put on some cable costing 4 times what these speakers cost, problem solved bass also took a leap forward lekker.
This is a good sign room to play around.
To get a multiple driver cone speaker to integrate well IE:  have a smooth transition across the audio band.  Costs big bucks.  Have heard some pretty expensive ones that fall short in this department,
These speakers fall short here, only to be expected and are no better or worse than most I have heard.
Two way stand mounts do not have this problem one of the reasons among others why people like them.
They did not sound overly boxy and threw a nice sound stage.

Listening:
While moving things around a record fell out of the rack Dave Clark 5 greatest hits in Mono, a record I bought while still in school in 1968.
Hell have not played this since I don't know when. The greatest forgotten band of the 60's. So I popped it on the Rega and gave it a spin.
Hell these speakers handled it so well.  Mike Smiths vocals were rendered oh so well great voice there.  Dave Clarks drumming as great and as snappy as ever.  Had me dancing and tripping down memory lane.
Had to do it out they came;  The Beatles, The Kinks, The Hollies, The Beach Boys, early Bee Gees, Hendrix, T Rex, Slade, The Doors.
Had to play The Troggs as a tribute; Reg Presley died Monday this week from lung Cancer.  RIP Reg you gave me so much pleasure listening to you over the years thanks.
Great stuff they all sounded great on these speakers.

Threw more their way:
Was quite taken aback on how well the handled the unusual harmonies of the the three New Jersey sisters known as the Roches. 
Out came The Band, Procol Harum, Strawbs, Moody Blues, ELO, Pink Floyd, Status Quo, Fleetwood Mac.
Such fun these speakers are just the ticket they sailed through it.
Played some jazz Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue double bass went right down there very impressed indeed sounded great no complaints.
Played The Jazz City Workshop Mono LP 1955 great stuff.  Piano, Trombone, Vibes, Bongos, Drums, Bass and Vocal. Sailed through it no noticeable colouration very good.
Colour me impressed.

The difference between the 30's and the 40's:

30's softer, sweeter not as forward less bass nice back ground speakers do not draw attention to them selves as much.
Plus they have the advantage that they do not mind being crowded and put in the corner.
Sounded nicer in a lot of ways with jazz and acoustic music to my ear than the 40's.

40's are taller did not move them closer to the wall heavy Mono Blocks on Granite behind them not moving them no way.  Got a feeling that crowding them might up set them somewhat.
Great Rock Speakers just wanted to turn them up all the time.  For the price "SAY NO MORE"!

Summing up:
Looking for some fronts for you HT and on a budget and enjoy music then these Wharfedales are just for you cant go wrong IMO.
AT THIS PRICE ONLY A FOOL WOULD IGNORE THEM
If you have the Space the 40's don't have space then the 30's.
Buy both. 30's will make great rears don't take up much space and can be crowded with out upsetting them.

Side Note:
There has been a lot of discussion on the forum about drivers flapping about when playing vinyl LP's.  A problem I am more than familiar with.  The various cures have all been tried even had my phono stage modified in an attempt to cure it.
These speakers did not exhibit this tendency the 40's no flapping just moved about back and forward a bit more up stairs down stairs not at all.  The Mission's drivers jive around like a head banger on crack on the same set ups.
The 30's not at all no matter what I threw at them sprung wooden floor, tile floor, different racks, suspended turntable, non suspended turntable, different arms & phono stages, different cartridges, worn arms, new arms
Interesting?

Latest posts