Upgrading advice needed please

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumb and Dumber

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Dare I say it on this forum :-[ My pc was upgraded years ago. I don't play high end games so it did not really affected me much. But since using Windows 7 I feel it needs a bit of a boost.
Current specs:
E2180 2.0Ghz CPU
2GB 800MHZ Ram

I want to either upgrade both the ram and CPU, Or get a new motherboard, CPU and ram.
Which of the two would you do if you don't feel like spending too much on this upgrade since it is not really needed soooo very much?

I see my motherboard (Gigabyte G31 chipset) does support only up to 4GB memory.
One question more. If I get a CPU that runs at 1333mhz will my ram cause much of a bottleneck since it is only running at 800mhz? (The motherboard supports only 667/800 memory.
If you suggest getting a new motherboard, CPU and ram, please give me the most cost effective options.

I don't want to give a max budget for the project, but I can get 4GB ram and a much faster CPU for around a R1000.00 for my current motherboard. So I wonder if it will be worth it to with the other option, and how much extra it will be?
It is almost Christmas and holiday season so I would like to spend my extra cash on other goodies as well. :D

Latest posts