Turntable setup hell!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irengineer

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some help getting my turntable set up properly. I have a NAD 533 (Rega Planar 2 OEM with RB250 arm) that was given to me recently. It came with a "mystery" MM cartridge (not the Goldring Elektra they usually ship with" and I replaced that with a Revolver branded Audio Technica AT95e. I replaced the drive belt with a new Rega black belt, and checked the TT for speed accuracy using a 7" Dr Feickert test disc and the platterspeed app. The cartridge alignment was done using a laser printed Baerwald protractor for Rega mounting distances. The critical dimensions of the printer protractor was checked with a digital caliper and the cartridge overhang was set to touch the 3 critical points on the arc. I realize a printed protractor is not the best idea, so the alignment needs to be checked and fixed. Then, based on the usage info about the AT95e, I set the tracking weight using the manual method described in the manual to 2.2 grams (I do not have the correct scale to verify this). I also made sure that the turntable is level and set the anti-skating to match the tracking force, as per the NAD manual. I now connect the TT via a loaned Cambridge Audio Azur 651P phono stage to the "audio 3" input on my Yamaha RX-A2010 amp. All the processing functions and tone controls are defeated, with the amp running in "pure direct" mode.

So, today I bought 4 brand new vinyl titles from Musica in Sandton. Best of Dianne Krall, a Jack Johnson album, Arno Cartstens "Gala" and Florence and the Machine. I have never been so disappointed! The Jack Johnson has loads of bass distortion (not due to volume) and the Dianne Krall album sounds terrible on "s" sounds (is that sibilance?)

Can anyone please help me get this TT set up properly? I do not want to damage these brand new LP's, and really want to have great vinyl playback.

I am quite prepared to pay to get this done and am based in Centurion.

Please help!

Latest posts