Triode Dick's Mono Bill Classic

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredeb

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
A while back , I purchased from John ( BK's EE friend ) this 3/4 way built version of Triode Dicks Mono Bill Classic , an evolution of the Classic Williamson KT88 PP circuit . The circuit is the latest iteration of Dutchman Dick van de Merwe's Mono Bill Classic sharing one power transformer on one chassis ( so ... close to the Mono Bill , but sharing one transformer ). The chassis is itself is a re-worked Steinhardt TVP400CD monoblock that was stripped down , metal bits sandblasted and powder-coated . RCA sockets , binding posts , valve sockets , power transformer , output transformer , PSU chokes , PSU caps and a bias circuit pcb  beautifully installed by John .

http://www.audio-creative.nl/projecten/triodedick-monobill-classic/

http://www.triodedick.com/

MonoBill-Classic-schema.jpg

MonoBill-Classic-schema-voeding.jpg

To quote John :

" My output transformers come from a pair of RCF AM30 or UP60 mono amplifiers. These had EL503 valves in pentode and were rated at 60W. They test at approximately 5k:4 (or 8 or 16) ohms.

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/ampli/amplificatori-finali/rcf-up60-finali-a-valvole/rcf-up60.htm

I have used these transformers before with EL34?s and KT88?s an they work well. Probably better than the Hammond 1650R outputs I used in the other amp like this. They are similar size to the Hammonds but are potted and in steel cans. The difference is they do not have ultralinear tappings so this amp needs to be built with the KT88?s in triode mode for 25 watts or so per channel (or, I suppose pentode mode for much more power!)

The chassis came from a pair of Steinhardt TVP400CD monoblocks I stripped. (Yes, this is the second amp, I built the same thing previously with Hammond o/p?s) It was white and was re-powdercoated black. Holes were altered to suit it?s new purpose prior to coating.

Also there is a bottom plate with feet and the transformer section cover . The mains transformer is sized to run two mono bills and was built by Ajax Transformers. It has 230v in, and earth screen, 6.3v ct Heaters L, 6.3v ct Heaters R, 12v (optional constant current loading of input cathode or use as pilot light supply or standby circuitry), 50v Bias, 360v HT.

The chokes are each 5H @ 200mA.

The big power supply caps you can see are BHC (Kemet) ALS30 470uF 500V and the motor run caps are 10uF.

The input valves included are Mullard E182CC. ECC99 can work and so can 5687?s or Russian 6N6P?s (they don?t all have the same pinout though!)

The output valves included are Electroharmonix KT88EH. "

Some pics :

WP_20150716_19_29_40_Pro1.jpg

WP_20150717_13_07_41_Pro1.jpg

WP_20150716_19_33_56_Pro1.jpg

WP_20150716_19_46_29_Pro1.jpg

Alrighty then ! Next I'll post an image of what I've done thus far and then beg those that know to advise as I go along and point out stupid mistakes that I inevitably make .

Latest posts