Tonearm Stiction Problem??

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I built up a tonearm from assorted parts where I also had to make several other parts to make the arm complete and functional - including turning one additional roller bearing cup.

All parts are true and all bearing surfaces and tapers are mirror-polished and the geometry measures spot-on.

There are two sets of roller bearings on this arm for lateral movement with two sets of 12 roller balls of the same size and the roller balls are unworn and all have no pitting or rust.

If one moves the armwand laterally, there's no play and the movement is completely free of stiction.

The arm traverses various positions with fine cartridges set at their recommended tracking and bias figures and the turntable is level.

Yet, for days already I have the problem that when the arm is in play, it comes to different parts of the record and then develops stiction and will not traverse DIFFERENT parts of a record side.

If one then manually lift the arm and manually move it backwards and forwards, the problem disappears.

Until now, I have used a bit of Superlube with teflon on each of the two bearing cups and have just taking the arm apart but see no microscopic dirt or anything untoward.

I have the following greases and lubricants here in my workshop:

A) White lithium grease in an aerosol can
B) Castrol BNS Grease, clay based
C) Castrol MS Grease with lithium  for CV Joints
D) Silicone reel oil
E) Elna sewing machine oil
F)Castrol Final Drive EPX85W140 gearbox oil
G) Shell Tellus S32 Myford Lathe oil

and probably other oils if I start looking for more.

When I assembled the arm parts, I took the greatest of care when setting the locking bolt below the two sets of bearings and the mechanism is absolutely NOT binding anywhere.

Which of these lubricants would you recommend I use - oil or grease?

Thanks.

skollie

Latest posts