TT spindle bearing, grease or oil?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King_Julian_S

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I am busy looking at this vintage old Idler TT.

The bearing for the spindle has like a cup that can screw loose at the bottom and inside this cup is the little ball bearing that the spindle should rest on.

I cannot determine if there was originally some kind of oil or grease in this cup. Also, although the cup has a round hole for the ball bearing to fit in, there was a little silver, flat round plate with a very small hole in the middle of it over this cup hole and it seems the bearing is supposed to sit on this hole instead, it looks weird and this flat silver plate does not fit nice and is not 100% the same circumference as the cup diameter, so it has space on the side, which means it can obviously move around and not be in the centre. I am not sure but it seems that someone worked on this before, so not sure if that silver plate is a stock standard part..

Anyway here is some pics that maybe gives a better idea(apologies for cell pics upfront)

This is the cup that screw loose
IMG_20230708_093630.jpg

This is the bottom of the spindle that should rest on the ball bearing
IMG_20230708_093849.jpg
IMG_20230708_093857.jpg

This is the inside of the cup where the bearing seem to belong inside that centre hole.
IMG_20230708_094016.jpg

However I found it with this little silver plate covering that centre hole inside the cup and the bearing on top of this, it has a much much smaller little hole for the bearing to rest in(almost impossible to make it balance there and not slide off and it doesn't really fit 100% inside the cup as it's smaller then the cup itself leaving space on the sides for it move around
IMG_20230708_094059.jpg
IMG_20230708_094411.jpg

So, do I remove that silver plate or is there a way to get to stay centre and balance the ball bearing on its centre without it moving.
Secondly, should this cup/bearing be greased or oiled inside and what oil or grease is reccomended.

Tx a mill for any advise..

Attachments

• IMG_20230708_094155.jpg
    IMG_20230708_094155.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0