Tidal and Plex

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I?ve been using Tidal since they released an app for the AppleTV.

It was never the last word in UI design and experience but it got the job done.

Plex, has been floating around for years.  I?ve found it a very quick and easy way of hosting and playing my fairly modest collection of Blu-ray?s.  It?s something I?ve never hesitated to recommend for the less technically inclined as an easy way to play your disk rips over the wire. (Or air I guess)

Now I imagine, the march of time and massive upsurge in streaming of content has probably left the Plex team a little concerned about their business model.  Yes, yes, we?ve ascertained there are those that will always want physical media, or rips of their own media to play.  However I suspect that the Plex team are struggling for growth.

Now while I love and appreciate Tidal, I also recognize that it?s not exactly the biggest streaming service in town.  Thus when I saw the teaming up of Plex and Tidal I figured it was probably more desperation than massive market desire.

Well this weekend I figured I?d try the integration offered, just for sh1ts and giggles.  Well I?m bloody sold, the user experience is way better than the Tidal app. Once I worked out how to display my content by ?Album? instead of ?Artist? I was off like buckshot.

I?ve been using it most of the weekend and haven?t looked back.  Sure, it still might be an act of desperation by either Plex or Tidal, but I?m loving the improved approach.

If you have an AppleTV, Tidal and Plex combo, give it a try.  You might be pleasantly surprised....

Latest posts