The sometimes rocky road to a music server setup - but no going back!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAV

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
;D (Gert/Evan, don't cringe when reading this, hehe!)

At this point I have a working SBS setup on Ubuntu server 11.04 (64 bit). Quite a challenge, I seem to have had my fair share of bad luck, (and inexperience of course played a role! My Linux was very rusty.). Once again though, this forum has proved to be invaluable and guys like Audiomuze helped me a huge lot.

The new toy in the house is a Squeezebox Touch, minty fresh from the US. I have just checked it, will be able to start having fun this evening.

What remains is to find a suitable spot for the little HP and then to also choose a suitable method of networking, at this stage the SB connects via wi-fi (I am very allergic to long runs of cable...severe lightning risk) and the server is connected directly to the wi-fi router right next to it. I also need another small UPS (looking for another APC as I am a big fan.)

Will I go back? I doubt it! Yes, ripping all my CDs to flac was quite a job, still not done but very close. dBPoweramp works a treat and ripped using 4x DVD/CD drives in two PCs - speeded up things tremendously. The nicest thing is being able to quickly access anything in my collection, I have already rediscovered stuff not listened to in ages.  8)

Now only if SSD prices would come down.  ;)

Latest posts