The day I bought stolen goods

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobsYourUncle

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I will not mention the place by name, but it is one of the 2 franchised 2nd hand shops in South Africa.

I arrive this afternoon, browse and see nothing really before making my way to the CDs.
I see 16 old box computer games, one of which even consists of 4 5.25 inch floppy disks.
I grab them all and go home. Go through them and decide to lost a few on a vintage computer page on Facebook along with some of my other titles , a find like this doesn't happen everyday.

It's going well, I'm receiving offers quite quickly on a few titles from guys who collect these.
I've got 3 buyers for 8 of the games and arraignments are made.

The excitement soon dissapears as someone comments on my post to urgently check my inbox.
He asks about where I get my box games from to which I replied that in genral they are from various sources and 2nd hand shops.
He then replies to that with a spreadsheet of a list of titles he is waiting for from new zealand and this list contains 11of the games I'm selling.
He offers to send me a phot of the one which when I see it is the exact game I have in my possetion, not the same title, but the same box with the same hand written stuff on it.

I have someone's shipment from newzealand that never arrived at his local East London post office and customs can't give him a clear answer as to where it is. Ofcourse they can't, it's sitting in a 2nd hand shop in kempton Park.

Myself and the legitimate owner of the games are now sorting this out.

I don't know how he must have been feeling, but my stomach turned.

Unfortunately there are still a few of his games not  accounted for and he didn't exaclty pay small amounts for them either but someone at customs sold them to a 2nd hand shop for probably R10 a pop.

Latest posts