The ANALOG vs digital Shootout

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francois

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Date: 27th September
Time: 010:00 - 22:00
Place: My man-cave/house in Helderkruin Roodepoort
Food: Serbia + piglet on spit (to be confirmed)
Drink: BEER (the 3 main ones  >:D ) - Please please try designated driver ?
Cost: R130-R150 ? Ill get a definite estimate (but I want you all to have a DESCENT lunch and nibbles)
Parking: About 30 cars (there will be two guards to check on cars) The more that drive together the easier
Overnight: I can accommodate 4/5 males (we will make beds in living rooms too) - As Jozua - its fun to stay over

OBJECTIVE

To show the DIFFERENCE between good vinyl and proper Hires files and what is POSSIBLE with either format today.

Disclaimer

I do not want to change your opinion. Belittle any format. Cause discord and fights. I want YOU to listen, hear, enjoy and well enjoy

Equipment:

What I am trying to do is put the BEST possible AMP/PRE/speakers and Phonostage there so that the slightest difference between DAC and TT can be heard. That acceptable ?

HIGH-end system:

Krell/Tannoy Kingdoms/Plinius/ARC Ref Phono + SME20/Phantom Supreme/Colibri vs Meitner DAC (This is the $20000 vs $20000 comparison)

I hope to get even higher specified dCS stack or even higher spec DAC. Slightest chance of an Esoteric DAC.

Please feel free to volunteer a high end piece here!

Medium Rare system:

Musical Fidelity KW500/Hovland/Quad 2905 + Vivere vs Goldmund Studio/SME 5/Colibri ($1500 vs $3000).... ok small imbalance but Vivere punches WAY above the local price dont you think ? In US it will sell for $3000

The Peanut system (only teasing)

ARC VT100/Quad 2905 or Martin Logan/ARC LS5 + Ducet (Rudi ?) or other phono + HRT Streamer II vs (......... lets suggest some TT's here).... Nothing more than R8000 ? R5000 ? I would love someone to bring 1/2/3 or more TT's to show off!

I dont have a good budget TT here  :Ooooooh:

ADDITIONAL:

Please bring ANYTHING you want to show off people!! There is LOTS and LOTS of place to put your equipment and have a conversation piece. Hell even SELL something if you want to!

Any Audiophile LP's or great recordings you want to sell ? Do it, but please not boxes (10-20?)

Last shootout we had headphone kit, Please please feel free to come show off you Headphone gear ? I have another room where we can listen to it in quiet! I know so little about proper headgear!

If you feel you can improve on the equipment on offer please do! I am UNBIASED - I just want to bring the very best out and all to have fun. I dont fret if you criticize my stuff. There is always something better and better ways to utilize gear.

Ooooh before I forget - I will try and match Vinyl vs digital (hires) as close as possible. Me and Mike will match recording and try to trace it back to same master if possible.

I also want to play on each system one or two SHOWPIECES of each format. I need advice there!

There....

reservations are open....  :dance:

Latest posts