Technics SL1100 setup

AusGekaut

Reaction score
Good day

I am new in vinyl business. I bought a Technics SL1100 with a Acos Lustre GST1 tonearm and a Audio Technica AT95E cartridge. I downloaded the manuals from vinylengine as I didn't get any when I bought the TT. As I looked through the manual I tried to setup correctly. I failed somewhat, mostly because I couldn't identify the pictures.

I could probably leave the tonearm in place (I trust that the previous owner did it correct) and only adjust the weight and anti-scating.
This is where I am stuck. On youtube they use different tools, but in the manual they never mention any.
So my question is how do I setup the weight and anti-scating correctly?

Another question: Is there any indications when the needle has to be replaced (except probably audio quality)?

S

Schmuck

Welcome to the "dark side"...  :giggle:

You should not need any tools to set up the tracking and anti-skid.
It is just a matter of balancing the arm and turning the counterweight (clock or anti-clockwise) as well as the anti-skid indicator wheel on the arm.
Anti-skid is usually about 75% or more of your tracking force.

I.e. for your cart the tracking force is recommended @ 2.0g, so the anti-skid wheel should be turned to 1.75 up to 2 on the indicator.

Make sense?  :dop:

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
The above is +- correct. If you want to reset the tracking force, first turn the bias/anti-skating dial to 0. Then balance the arm until it floats. Set the counterweight's dial to 0 and then dial in 2.0g or whatever tracking weight required. Last step, set the anti-skating dial to 1.7 or whatever.

Keep the stylus guard if fitted, on during this procedure.

Instruct your wife or gf or Demolition Doris to stay away from your turntable with dusters, stoflappe or whatever.

Do not over-indulge with alcohol, tik or whatever while playing records. And the same goes for your guests.

All of the aforementioned can be much easier if you use a non-magnetic digital balance. You will also eventually need a record and stylus brush.

skollie

AusGekaut

Reaction score
@Skollie where should it float? Must it float slightly "underneath" the vinyl (if it would be placed on the TT)?

With dust and alcohol I try to take extra care. I worked for a year in Europe and earned enough to build up a nice sound system and this is my only pride (no wife yet).

croak

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you manage to bring it to the vinyl Faire on Sunday I can check it out quickly.

S

Schmuck

Skollie said:
The above is +- correct. If you want to reset the tracking force, first turn the bias/anti-skating dial to 0. Then balance the arm until it floats. Set the counterweight's dial to 0 and then dial in 2.0g or whatever tracking weight required. Last step, set the anti-skating dial to 1.7 or whatever.

Yes you're quite right, but I assumed that the OP had the necessary instruction on how to do it.
He had a question regarding the "tools" used on youtube, to which I put his mind at ease; I hope...  :winkwink:

croak

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
AusGekaut said:
Do you mean this http://vinylfair.joburg/? I won't make it this weekend but I see it is a monthly event, so I shall pop in next month.

Yes.  That's the one.

If you may get to Fourways area sat PM I may be able to assist too. 

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
AusGekaut said:
@Skollie where should it float? Must it float slightly "underneath" the vinyl (if it would be placed on the TT)?

With dust and alcohol I try to take extra care. I worked for a year in Europe and earned enough to build up a nice sound system and this is my only pride (no wife yet).

Croak will solve your problem

The arm should float or be in levitation horizontally and parallel  to the record and above it.

skollie

alternativeroute

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score

AusGekaut

Reaction score
I bought it from valvesound. Was standing in my room for 6 months now, because of the SAPO strike. I ordered a pre-amp in August and only got it begin of March.

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
alternativeroute said:
BTW. Great table. Used to be mine  :D and Shonvers previously  ;D

:2thumbs:  I was going to have a wooden arm board cut to replace the hacked aluminium one. Would have allowed a slightly better placement of the Acos Lustre arm. The extra space taken up by the platter's strobe apron constrains the placement options. But the current position of the arm was dictated by the need to cover up the mounting hole of the original arm. That's why a new arm board would be better.

ghostinthemachine

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score