Struggling with a Connoisseur BD2 motor

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicMan_ZA

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have serviced a very old Connoisseur BD2 turntable, and must say I like it. It looks great - really vintage - and sounds very good. I also quite like the SAU2 arm which I have stripped, cleaned  and adjusted - those tiny little bearings are a real bugger to get/keep in place when re-assembling!

However, I think I have a problem with the motor. The table runs on speed, both 33 and 45 (home-made belt, round rubber and super glue),
but in order to start working I have to give the platter a hand-spin (this I expected to have to do) and I must give the motor spindle a little twirl (sometimes two) for the motor to start turning. Surely this cannot be another of the Connie's quirky features?

I have dismantled, cleaned and lubricated the motor - one drop of oil in the bottom cup (on the ball race) and 2 drops of oil on the oiling pad on the other side. Once running, it runs well. It just does not start. Top and bottom screws are neither too tight nor too slack (IMHO).

Could this be the ballast resistor? It has a 3700 ohm +-5% 10W ballast resistor in line to the motor (after the on/off switch). I measure 234v before the resistor and 119/120/122v after the resistor. Across the two terminals of the switch there is a little orange ping pong bat marked CF S3.

Could this resistor be the problem? Or the ping pong bat? (someone suggested this may be a suppressing capacitor???)

And, of course, neither Yebo, Zakspeed or Mantec has such a resistor...

10690058_10153189926303243_1511489296787496604_n.jpg

PS On the bottom of the top plate and on the inside of the platter someone has marked: "BD2/1959". Surely this is not from 1959?

All advice much appreciated.

Latest posts