Speaker Positions

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joffieb

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have come to realise that most systems people use for positioning their speakers seem to be:

1. Positioning the speakers in the room a certain distance from the back wall until the bass sounds its best;

2. Move them in and out horizontally from each other to get a good soundstage that is wide but not too thin; and

3. Adjust the tow in and rake to polish off the rough edges to the sound and focus each source of music within the image.

A while ago I found a perfect spot for my speakers but for various reasons, we have moved a couch to place it between the two speakers even though they can still be placed at the optimum position that they were in prior to the couch being moved.

My question is, [and I know that I should be trying this out with listening tests), will the placing of a big velvet couch between the speakers only effect the bass response or will it affect the imaging as well. In other words,  can I adjust for the new couch by trying the speakers and further away from the back wall and keeping their horizontal, toe in and rake positions as they were, because they are still facing the listening position at the same angle?

Thanks