Speaker cable and Amplifier design

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norval

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another cable question in the general section, but this is not just about cable though, and nothing about "which cable sound better".

I have a question mostly for the experienced amp builders and designers on here ([member=144]Ampdog[/member], [member=146]pwatts[/member], [member=415]GECO[/member] or just any knowledgeable person). 

So it seems I just like amps from designers that believe all kind of wacky things. (I saw Paul Mcgowan from PS audio refer to the wacky things in a video recently so didn't come up with that myself  ;D).

I have a NAIM integrated, and they recommend a minimum length of speaker cable of  3,5 meter per side, low capacitance high inductance cable, but 10 meter would be better.

The reason is that NAIM apparently does not believe in Zobel networks on their output, and want the cable to act as such. So the length is to provide the needed inductance.

OK, so I have also read on forums that it is no longer as much applicable in newer amps, but they still specify it in their user manuals.

1st question:
- would there really be enough inductance in a 3,5 meter cable to replace the output coil on the amp? Or is this just one of those "cable debate" kind of concepts? 

Maybe I should state that I've been using a 2,5 meter cheap PA speaker cable for almost 2 years now without issues.

2nd question:
- I have a set of Transparent Audio Musicwave Plus cable at home that has some kind of filter build in. Its a coil of around 20mm diameter and 9 turns in series of the + line followed by what I think is a cap across the cables. The cap is covert, so I can't see the actual component, but measure around 2,5 nF. So this is way out of spec in terms of the recommended max capacitance by NAIM, but it is preceded by a coil. Unfortunately the inductance is too low my el-cheapo Top Line multi-meter to measure.

So my question is, would it be safe to use this cable on the NAIM, or rather stay away?

My thoughts are that, although NAIM specify not to use high capacitance cable, the coil in the cable will act in a similar manner as the coils used on the output on amplifiers, and this the higher capacitance of the cable should not be of concern?

Latest posts