Sony TA-70 advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicMan_ZA

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a very nice looking, and great sounding, little Sony TA-70 amp.

It plays CDs perfectly via the "tuner" input.

However, when using the phono input, only one channel plays. I have checked, and it is not the speakers nor the turntable that is the issue.

At the back there is a switch for "magnetic/ceramic" cartridge. This switch has been sprayed with contact cleaner and is in the correct position. (On the "ceramic" setting, there is faint sound from both channels!).

On the front there is a "stereo/mono" push-button switch. This switch has been sprayed, and in the stereo position the one channel does not work. In the mono position both speakers play. All other switches (e.g. balance and phono selector) have been sprayed and twirled, as much as I could get close to them. Inside nothing appears (to the naked eye) to be an issue, and the only fuse I can see is fine.

Switching to "tuner" input and playing a CD works perfectly through both channels.

Any next steps I could try to sort this out? I got this to use with a turntable! Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Johan

(like this - pic borrowed from the net)

521309-sony_ta70.jpg

Latest posts