Sealer for mating very hot surfaces ? Camp stove.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Joint material / seal between extremely hot surfaces ??

It's my annual camp stove servicing time. No more spares are available from Packrat in SA. (Coleman agents. Parts are still available overseas.)

I bought this one when they first came out and it has been the best stove I have ever used. And I've been climbing / camping since my school days.

The only bit which has me stumped ... all the time .... is finding a suitable material to make a seal between the stove body and the cooker plate.

The original seal turned to powder after many years of good service.
I tried Gun-Gum .... which worked well .... for about six months before letting air in. It eventually cracks and starts falling out. Causing the flame to go from a beautiful fine blue ... to a slightly wavy blue and yellow.
Then I tried Red Devil exhaust silicone from a tube. That didn't last as long as the Gun-Gum. That turned to powder.

I serviced it yesterday again and the flame is perfect for the time being, using G-G.

The red line on the photo shows the two surfaces which need to mate with a good seal. Only about a 3mm wide ring around the plate.

Are there any other options which I can use ? The heat is pretty intense. The metal vanes on top which support the pot actually turn red after a few minutes of cooking.

The top view of the stove shows the old Gun-Gum before removal.

Latest posts