Samsung PS51d490 TV - Smart functionality possible ?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFan

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys

Just a bit of a strange question. I have a Samsung Plasma 51"TV, which I've had for about 7 years now. A short while ago, the TV was hit by lightning via the HDMI port from the Explora decoder. The RCA inputs worked still, so I just carried on using those because I just never got around to repairing it, and was told that Samsung SA no longer kept parts for these.

Fast forward to last Friday, and the TV just went dead while we were watching. Took it to a repair place and the main board is gone. He reckons they can source a new one for the TV, so I gave him the go ahead to do so. While he had the TV stripped, he showed me the insides of it, and pointed out the Wi Fi receiver etc. just underneath a little plastic cover at the bottom of the TV. Now this is strange to me because the TV isn't a SMART TV. SMART TV's of that era were pretty expensive at the time, being new technology at that stage.

My question, and it may be a weird one, is there any way I can enable the SMART functionality of the TV ? A firmware update, or some hack to make these functions accessible ?

I recall reading something along those lines a very long time ago, but can't find any info on the net.

Thanks in advance for any help, or a point in the right direction. My daughter would be over the moon if she could access YouTube on the TV.  :)