Room BOOM!!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgoblin

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi All

First, let me try paint a picture of what the rooms looks like (I can't attach pics so please bear with me)-

The room itself measures 3.8m across the width and 4.5m front to back with a ceiling height of about 2.7m.

The back wall is occupied by a wooden sliding door and windows leading to a patio, on the left wall is a small window and in the rear right corner is a door to the rest of the house

I have fitted nice thick suede curtains as well as block out across the rear, covering the sliding door and pretty much the whole wall corner to corner. The same suede curtains cover the window on the left. The floor is carpeted and also has the spongey foam underfelt stuff.

Speakers are B&W CM7s located (distance to the front centre of the baffle) 1.1m from the front and 700mm from the side and toed in slightly.

My chair is about 1m from the back wall.

Now that's out the way, let me get on to the problem (I'm sure the subject gives it away), low frequency MASSIVE boom. To my ears it's somewhere between 30hz and 40hz, I haven't gone through the process of playing tones yet and I don't have one of those RTA thingys to produce the nice graphs I see on this forum.

So, this weekend I built myself some bass traps to try tame the wild bass beast - While is has brought out some other very farourable results, the boom is still strong as ever.

The panels are 2.4m high and 600mm wide and sit diagnoally across the front corners. Frame is made from 22x22mm meranti, closed off top and bottom and has 4 50mm thick 80kg/m3 Rockwool panels making the 'absorbtion' bit 100mm thick. The panels are also mounted on 100mm cabinet legs to lift them over the skirting boards so they sit nicely against the walls.

Audiomuze mentioned in another post that further fill would be necessary. While I will be following this advice as soon as money permits, I wondering if there are any fundamentals that I could be focusing on in the meantime.

Any comments/suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Latest posts