Road trip from JHB to CT (and possibly back via Garden Route / PE/Durban/JHB)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KlyvQue

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
My SO and I have been contemplating on a drive down to CT (from JHB) for some time now... and it seems December will have to be the time to do this. I say have to - because my cousin's wedding will be down in Paarl on the 9th of December.
So we have decided its best to make this trip a holiday.

Plan is to drive down, attend the wedding - site see in CT and surrounding areas, possibly go and check out Mossel Bay, George, Plattenberg Bay, etc.

I've only done this trip once - by car (and I was about 10 years old).
So I was thinking I need some tips and advice on the do's and don't from people who have done this trip - or from anyone who does long distance driving.

* I'm thinking a midpoint stop (700-800km's would be ideal?).
  Can someone recommend a nice place to stop where I can get a good nights rest before tacking the other half of the trip to CT.
* Recommended time to travel? Day / Night?
* Recommended places to stay at - when I get to Paarl?

As mentioned earlier - we have not decided on doing the drive from CT to PE to Drbn and back JHB...
But In the even that we do...

Any recommendations on how to best tackle this route?
Are there tourist attractions I shouldn't miss? Suggested places to sleep / etc?

Please feel free to share your experiences and advice on how I can best tackle this.

Thanks in advance.

- kQ