Restoring NAD 3130

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hirezho

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hello all,

Yesterday I picked up a non-working NAD 3130 off Gumtree for a pittance  ;D.
I plan to clean it ( :facepalm:), have it fixed and enjoy it. Now, this amp spent its life pretty much under water in Betty's Bay. The corrosion is extensive. Pots, caps and transistors may need replacing too?
I will hand the amp over to a trusted technician to bring it back to spec but I am too embarrassed to give it to him in such a state.
Reason I'm posting is to get some advice on cleaning the sticky gunk off the pcb. Its by far the worst I've ever seen, I mean this is proper sticky and oily. The pcb surface looks like the skin of a greasy samoosa rolled in lint  :help:.

I've searched the forum and read these links too (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258899), (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=406997), but they deal with dusty pcb's. The dirt on this NAD is moist and sticky. How should I go about cleaning it? Will the bath do the trick?
Btw, I have the service manual and parts list to help me along.

Also, I want to have the cover resprayed and remove the rust from the bottom plate.
Can anyone recommend/suggest products I should use, best practice and a place in CT that can take care of the metal work?

Why am I doing this? Coz I love NAD  :nutter: and winter is coming so I can't play outside  :ROFLMAO:.

How I got it.
IMG_4382_zps40c46150.jpg

Cover off and mess exposed.
IMG_4387_zps935f054a.jpg

The sticky icky. All the pcb's are like this. Very moist and adhesive.
IMG_4390_zps8ebbb91e.jpg

A bit of rubbing with wetwipes and earbuds
IMG_4420_zps37d57a9e.jpg

A bit more rubbing  :giggle:
IMG_4425_zps946decd0.jpg

Faceplate in fairly good nick, clean up quite well.
IMG_4418_zps2e323674.jpg

Thanks guys.
Sasha

Latest posts