Recommended platform in simple terms (steps please)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kemosabe

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of threads covering this question between the "digital" subforum and the "computers and networking" one. I can see consistent recommendations coming through but not a one stop shop for the various steps I need to do to achieve my goal - so humour me please  :coffee:

My Goals/Ambitions:

- I recently aquired a Hifiwow Sabre32 based DAC.
- currently feeding this with FLAC files from a Mede8er
- now would like to feed the USB input with hi-res files
- I happen to have a spare brand new HP netbook to fill this role
- but to maximise speed I am thinking of exploring using Linux
- I have a spare 320GB HDD - so plan to take out the existing windows one, install new drive, format it, load Ubuntu which I downloaded
- then need to load the actual music management software - several options
- would like to control this with either my Android phone or my ipad mini
- I don't have a file server or network set up at present (could go there in the future)
- Priorities: Fast boot up, silent operation, preferably boot up into the music software, easy integration with some software for either of my touchscreen devices, nice interface, bit perfect music with ability to stream 24/196 is my goal, minimize other processes going on to maximise speed and sound quality, extendable to a network environment in the future where I have a music server - but quite happy to run from a USB HDD or internal HDD source for now, connection to internet not for browsing but if the internet is needed then a wireless connection is available

Ok - what I need from the fundis please  :notworthy:
1. Is linux the way to go (seems yes)
2. Can I use Ubuntu since its a friggin large download and I already have it
3. Then what software do I need over and above that (LMS, Squeezelite etc etc - buy the way I dont know what all these programmes do and they are just meaningless words to me until I use them for the first time)
4. which sites do I go to to get them
5. Which order do I install them in
6. What software do I need for the android or apple device
7. how does the tablet software interact to control the netbook? (it can only be bluetooth or wi-fi)

- you see I could figure all these things out myself by trial and error but I dont really have the time to pay school fees, and very little actual interest in the learning process.  I just want the system to work as painlessly as possible - first time. I already spend enough time on hi-fi nonsense and my  :angrywife: will divorce my @ss if I spend the whole weekend again d*icking around with my toys.

To save time maybe you just want to point me to 2 or 3 posts which answer all these questions.
PS: all those Linux command lines are just nonsense to me - I can follow steps like a monkey but understand I will not be able to help myself if it goes wrong.

? Should I make a dual boot machine - just to give myself some options?

Thanks a mil!!

Latest posts