Re: Newbie Questions

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheProven

Reaction score
Firstly, great to at last find a local forum with enough information on this subject.  I have a couple of questions, and would greatly appreciate some advice.  I have I plan the following setup:

I cleared a room to be treated exclusively as a home entertainment room, with half of the room housing a bar and a pool table, and the other half being a 3-meter wide Movie/Music DVD screen (yes, a big room).
1)  I plan to use a projector and have viewed a couple of demo's and read reviews, but what is the main difference between home cinema projectors and stock standard "PC presentation" projectors?  The specs seems nearly the same, but the first costs so much more. Is the extra cost justified ?
2)  The room is about 70 square meters, with the roof pitched and about 10 meters high at the highest point (yes, a high roof).  What is the minimum specification machine that will be able to effectively project a nice picture quality at a distance of 5 meters onto a proper screen ?
3)  A receiver seems really necessary.  Someone spoke about a yamaha ?  What must I look out for in respect of a receiver.
4)  What speakers (remember room size).
5)  What DVD player (remembering DVD-A and HDMi)
6)  Where the hell do I get a digital cable long enough from the receiver to the projector (10 meters)

Thanks in advance, I am really only starting to get knowledge on this subject.