Raspberry Pi(any) + OSMC (Kodi, Debian)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdlsys

R.I.P 03/2024 Vinylist, DIYer
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Following on Talib's "Raspberry Pi 2 Kodi and Squeezelite" thread,

Here's an alternative that is free of customisations so it is universally applicable to all platforms, individual needs & preferences and I believe easier to get going and manage.

Last night I installed "OSMC" which is a full-function Kodi on top of very small and fast Debian based distro (http://kodi.wiki/view/OSMC).
It was quite literally 1-click to download (https://osmc.tv/download/), 1-click to install type of effort.

On the first boot, OS is automatically unpacked once-off and installed on the SD card and every subsequent power-on/reboot is very fast.

Being Debian under the skin, you have a wealth of mature packages that you can install which includes various Squeeze-flavours you might want.

Things that make OSMC a winner for me are:
- Built in support for many types of IR remotes which you chose from the underlying OSMC configuration menu ("My OSMC" option under Kodi's "SYSTEM" menu option), incl. Apple, all "RC" standards, Xbox, quite a few proprietary remotes, etc.
- My USB 802.11n Wifi adapter worked out of the box - no drivers, no configuration, just works.
- It plays my SD and 720p content in 1080p resolution without dropping a frame. I have no interest in 1080p and BD playback so ... happiness as-is.
- Issues with Kodi menu lag on RPi have been resolved - system is more than adequately responsive.
- Performance paybacks that I expected (given the platform) are very few and actively managed by the system so that the overall experience is at the very high level.

Now, the shocker... this is all on the very first RPi generation! 256Kb RAM IIRC...?

:2thumbs:

BTW, Mantech has very good and inexpensive genuine (?) Raspberry 2A PSUs in stock (around R100?).
I checked it this morning after the whole night of initial server scanning and building of library - cool as a cucumber. Even the RPi acrylic box is just barely warm. Everything looks very promising.

Latest posts