Preamp shoot-out #2

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francois

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now this is a slightly smaller in monetary statue but still significant.

Contenders:

1) Audio Research LS5
2) Audio Research LS2
3) Audio Research LS17SE
4) Audio Research SP14
5) Hovland HP100
6) Plinius Tautoro
7) Nakamitchi CA-7
8) LFD LS2
9) Sherbourn PRE-1

Main Amp SR Reference Plinius via Meitner DAC, Audioquest Sky IC's and SACD audiophile sampler....and George Michael - Brother can you lend me a dime... Speakers: vivid 1.5's (utterly revealing) and later Duntech Souvereighns (DT)

Results and Why:

1st Classs

[1]
ARC LS17 - yes its the best and noticeably so. why ? Bass/Treble and mids so perfectly aligned... nothing exaggerated. But the airiness, It physically feels as if the soundstage gets inflated to INCLUDE you. WOW. A simple 4 notes plucked on a banjo shows the difference... All 4 plucked different force, last slightly distorted...and I could measure the amount of vibrations just listening.... Best preamp I have heard so far... I don't think my Ref 2 or the Ref 3 will be better.... will compare soon

On the DT this is amazing, from those towers flows lightest warmth... and air that filled my room....dammit its nice!
[2]
Hovland beats the Plinius by a whisker. Ill take the above description and say: The notes were still distinct, but the vibrations duller, uncountable. The soundstage less, the midrange just a tad less. Bass more but better...not sure

On the DT this showed why the DT is a Reference for Studios. Neutral...NEVER harsh...the valves shined through more!
[3]
The Plinius does AMAZING for a SS, same soundstage as Hovland, but brighter sounding. Initially sounded like more detail but its not. The 4 notes now sound the same...forget about counting. With the Halcro DM10 one of the best SS preamps I have ever heard.

A dynamic marvel on the DT speakers. This SS preamp was VERY well thought out!!

Class 2
[1]
Its a tie here... ARC LS5 or Nakamitchi CA-7
The Nakamitchi has same detail as Plinius but the air between the note seems to forget the information it is supposed to carry. So you have distinct notes, clear as a bell, but finer detail omitted ?

The LS5 almost the same, less bright and warmer bass and mid bloom (just a tad). Bloody good pre-amp!!

[2]
LFd - LS2
Bloody hell, what is this oldie doing here  :D  Lovely beast. Very little feature but there to make MUSIC. totally not SS sounding, almost Plinius on speed, LS5 like on midrange, CA-7 level on detail. Should I give it 2nd place ? Maybe only because CA-7 brings out a tad more information.

[3]
ARC LS2
Its like an older (which it is) LS5. withing 10% of an LS5 I think... pleasant sounding...will never offend you. More than enough detail but never sharp. Unless you are used to R100k pre-amps this will NEVER disappoint. Still level or two above other medium priced brands

[4]
Sherbourn PRE-1
Now what do we have here ? If we talk features this will shoot up to 2nd place in this class. In a lot of ways almost a CA-7. Information retrieved on par with it, midrange is not fleshed out. for a SS amp. The treble is STILL very good and the bass is strong. Punchy. Its a BIG bargain! I think top models from Denon/Rotel/Yamaha will be hard pressed to match this.

[5]
ARC SP14
Exactly like the LS2 but veiled a bit. soundstage has shrunk to the Sherbourn level. My first words. Nice, very Nice.... It wouldn't offend anyone. Its good on all levels... Good+ on treble. In a medium system (R20-50k) this will fit perfect. If you have a bright SS amp, this will fix AND enhance it. A good buy.

All these preamp I consider as an upgrade to all but the Top Rotel/Nad/Denon pre-amps (If still found).... They are good (Else I wouldnt have bought them  >:D ).

It was great to spend a Saturday evening doing this....