Power management

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwatts

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just curious on what people here do to manage & separate their power in a medium to complex setup w.r.t. separation and filtering etc.
I run all my hifi & AV from a single power outlet. Broadly speaking, I have the audio-sensitive stuff wired directly to the mains, and the other stuff via a moerse industrial EMI filter. This is against conventional methods but, at least in theory, I think this is more sensible to prevent the dreaded 'life-sucking' introduced by filters on audio, and keeping interference from the other stuff at bay with the filter.

The following runs from an unfiltered multiplug:
- Stereo power amp
- Multichannel power amp
- DAC & Preamp
- AV processor
- USB to S/PDIF bridge
- Sub

The last plug on the 'audio' multiplug goes via the EMI filter to a secondary multiplug which powers:
- TV
- HTPC & Tidal source (Mini-I5 PC)
- Wifi access point
- Ethernet switch
- Lights
- Harmony cradle & remote blasters

Any comments from folks who have actually experimented with this (i.e. not just theory) on what should perhaps be moved from one to the other or additional filtering etc? The USB audio source (HTPC) may perhaps benefit from moving to the 'audio side' and with a dedicated filter to prevent its switching noise feeding back into the unfiltered audio chain.
Sadly using more mains plugs or running dedicated DB cables etc. are not really feasible, and with the rats' nest behind the AV rack adding further filters or sub-branches cannot be extended willy-nilly without proper justification.
Similarly, on which of these are more.. esoteric power cables to be advised?

Latest posts