Plumbing question - water pressure control valves and other pressures

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d0dja

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone explain this... I wanted to install a mixer tap on my shower, but it appears I don't have balanced pressure. Old house.

OK, so I can fit a pressure reduction valve on cold water feed to bathroom. This is possible, can get access to the inlet pipe.

Except my plumbing makes no sense. My cold water is very high pressure. There is no way I can hold a finger over an open tap and stop it... it'll spray out no matter what. The hot water, on the other hand, I can stop easily with a finger.

But my geysers are supposedly high pressure units.

The hot water setup is like this: the main cold feed is going into a Kwikot 600 (200l) which has vacuum breakers on inlet and outlet (rated for 600kPa). This geyser power is not turned on. The outlet then goes into an On-Sun 150 solar heater (rated for 200kPa) which heats it to 40-50degC and then into the cold inlet of a Franke 200l geyser (rated 400kPa), which has a vacuum breaker on the outlet. This then seems to feed to the various hot taps.

As far as I can tell, there is no pressure regulator valve ANYWHERE. It's an old house, with most pipes buried in concrete...

So ... why is my hot water such low pressure? And should there not be a pressure regulator valve on the inlet to protect the geysers from over-pressure?

But mostly -- why such low pressure on the hot?  :thinking:

Any words of wisdom from those skilled in the dark arts of domestic plumbing very welcome.  :O0: