Paying for goods with Paypal

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow.clone

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to buy some stuff (~$400) from China and would like to know if it's better to use the "send money" feature in Paypal to pay the seller directly from a linked credit card, or to rather use FNB's Top Up service to first load money into a Paypal account and then send that money on?

I presume that option 1 would result in interest being charged from day 1 on the credit card that was used?

Do I need any special documentation for this import (since money would be leaving SA via a "direct" Paypal transfer and not a  webstore purchase)? I definitely don't want the parcel to get stuck at customs or SARS to give me hassles afterwards. I'll be using Fedex IE and the items are a once off purchase for personal use, if that changes anything.

The items I need are available on Aliexpress but at a ~$110 premium vs. buying direct. The Chinese company I want to buy from has a good reputation online so if there's no additional hassles with buying direct, I'd rather give Aliexpress a skip.

Latest posts