Old RS Electronics HiFi demo room?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanudal

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I remember the old RS Electronics shop that was near Wits Tek in Braamfontein in 1990. I remember a small sound room with Daan Jacobs Reference 2 and 4 speakers. I think he had a goatee and was well respected by the students studying electronics. T1 - T3. I studied electronics at Wits Tek and still have all my old text books from then. I built the Annihilator V8, RS-2 Classic preamp and Ref 4 speakers as a student. It was a great way to get practical experience.

I see people on this forum mention a Classic Series 3 however I never saw this. I never saw the Reference 3 speakers either. It was an amazing experience listening to this system back then in comparison to my parents Technics HiFi at home. 

Does anyone have old photographs from back then of the shop or Daan? I once saw in article in some South African HiFi magazine. I can not remember if it was Look and Listen. A long time ago and I can not remember which mags were popular for HiFi back then. I know Rudi did great work improving his designs.

It would be interesting to know who the great pioneers of HiFi were in South Africa.
Thank you
Sean

Latest posts