Nothing is ever easy

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faizel

Reaction score
I had a really busy evening . The guys from Mod 'n Sound were busy renovating the new place and they were kind enough to take the speakers to the new shop for me to pick up after hours.

While unpacking, I  see that there are no grilles.  :(
Then I look for the speaker cables I ordered and they are not there as well  :(

But the show must go on, so install the speakers nonetheless. I am unsure as to how good the DVD player is going to be at playing CD's and how good the cables are going to be. Those were the 2 variables I haven't tested with the speakers. Play Dire Staits' "Money for Nothing" and I smile.  I can hear some music above the screams of my 2 year old. Tracy Chapman sounds good too . Good Good. The louder I play them the better they sound. There is no distortion and it is still easy on the ears. The term that comes to mind is well-composed.I play a few more songs and then head back to work at 7pm.

On my way to work I chat to Derek , who is still busy renovating. He says that he will go back to the shop and get the grilles and the speaker cable. Go to work, swop out server. GO back to the new Mod n Sound. Derek is on his way to get my grilles. Nice. He comes back twenty minutes later and only managed to find one grille and has the speaker cable. He will look for the other grille today and order me a new one if he can't find it. Go back home , and put the one grille on and then realise that the badge is missing from one of the speakers. Take the badge off the one speaker and try to put it on the other one and it doesn't want to go in. It seems as if the old badge was broken off in there.  :'( :-\ :'(

Mess around a bit more with the speakers and watch a few episodes of Prison Break. The speakers seem to be power hungry cos I really need to crank it up to enjoy it. I can also hear that the mid is battling to match the quality (dare I say class  ;D) of the Paradigms. Wife goes to sleep at about 11.30 and I recable the speakers with the new cable. Then put on the spikes and do the whole one cent jobbie (which is a royal pain in the ass). Play Phil Collins and admire my new purchase. Oh dear, the speaker with the grille on looks elegant and sleek, like a Catherine Zeta-Jones. The other one looks like freakin TERMINATOR. Best I listen to my music with my eyes closed.

Call Mod n Sound this morning. They will try and get me a new faceplate, badge and grille. I guess thats the chance you take when buying second hand/demo equipment. I must compliment Mod N sound for not giving me a hard time and trying to sort me out.And I am praying that my daughter doesn't throw any of her toys into the open port on the speaker without the grille.

Hopefully I get more listening time today..

And of course, one last THANK YOU to you guys for steering me in the right direction..

Latest posts